Monday, July 28, 2008

Day One of C25K

Yesterday was a great day! After starting with some moderate walking over the last week, I decided to bite the bullet and do the first day of C25K. Why wait? It was Sunday, so a good 'start day' (I'm wierd like that sometimes...), but mostly, I was feeling pretty confident that I could get through it. The most surprising and significant aspect of this is that I could not WAIT to do it!?!?! My inner voice kept saying, if you feel it now Cyn, DO it now!

So I changed and headed up to the track. It was a warm day, 84 degrees, and on my little bike jaunt up there...I was actually thinking, this is going to feel GREAT! (huh?) I've only been doing the track thing for a week...and one of the things I've noticed is that it feels good to be outside DOING something (besides sitting on my back patio). I feel like I'm out in the world or something - it's hard to explain...but other than going to work, the grocery store, and driving kids around....it occured to me recently that I really don't get out much! I've been pretty much stuck in the rut of day to day routines, which easily happens to busy moms.

I had downloaded week one of the C25K podcasts to my daughter's iPod, so I could take my watch off and use the music as my 'coach'. (I highly recommend this...the music is sort of cheesy, but for beginners, it really is like having a coach right with you!) I'm happy to say I got through the first workout and (obviously) lived to tell about it! It was the perfect starting level for me, not too easy (lord no!), but just challenging enough. By the time I got to the 4th, 5th and final interval...I was starting to feel the challenge, and managed to stick with it with some positive self talk. I felt so good when I was done! Physically and mentally.... I felt energized and strong, and well...proud of myself. I feel like I will be able to stick this out.

About two hours afterwards, I did feel some fatigue, but I slept so well last night and I woke up very easily this morning at 5am. My first thoughts when I woke up? I was actuallly thinking about what I would do for exercise today! Wonders will never cease. I am only mildly sore today, but I was very diligent about stretching. It is a good kind of ache if that makes sense....I do understand the need for a recovery day in between runs, because I'm looking forward to tomorrow, but I appreciate the 'rest' today.

Today I will go for a moderate mile and 1/2 walk downtown at lunch. And tonight I will do an upper body workout with my 5 lb weights, and some sit ups (ugh).

So my exercise weeks start on Sunday, and my official weigh in day will be Wednesday. I like mid-week because it gives me time to recover from the 'sins' of the weekend ha ha!

I hope everyone has a great week!

0 comments: