Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Another Brick In The Wall (comes down)

I have moments in my life, I think we all do, when I feel I'm being addressed by God, the Universe, Fate - whatever or whoever you believe in or 'feel'. These messages or subtle hints to 'pay attention' seem to come at the most appropriate moments for me.

I had one of those moments yesterday. Last night as I was flipping through the channels, I came across PrimeTime and they were doing a special tribute to Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon professor whose inspirational "last lecture" became such a phenomenon over the past six months or so, and who just passed away last weekend from pancreatic cancer. The lecture, given in September 2007, was called 'Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams' and covered the steps necessary for people to take control of their lives and live up to the goals they set early on.

I had watched the original PrimeTime interview months ago, and somehow I had missed the news of his death until I came across PrimeTime last night. The way this man lived his final days as a father, husband, and mentor is nothing short of inspirational. My favorite section from his lecture is when he compared obstacles, problems, and adversity to a giant brick wall.

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; they are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something," he said. "The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people!"

I love this, and hearing it again last night was perfect timing for so many reasons. Randy Pausch's book is on my 'To Read' list, I am ordering it today!

In other news....I'm happy to record a two pound loss for this weigh in, yahoo! I am also happy to report that I completed Day 2 of C25K - although it was much, MUCH more difficult this time. I think the heat/humidity took it's toll, but I finished it! I have decided if the third day is still difficult, I will probably repeat Week 1 of the nine week series.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyndi: That's great news for the first week! Congrats! We are passing Randy's book around the family now to read. I think my Dad may have it. Anyway, when it comes back to me, I am keeping it to read when I am having a pity party to help me snap out of it! Makes you realize that we really have nothing to complain about.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I saw you on Diary of an Aspiring Loser, Michelles a close pal. Welcome to the WW family!! Keep up the great work.

I think that the poem and the quote are fantastic!!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
Shosh