This morning I spent (gulp) $145 on workout schtuff. Nike running shoes, two tee shirts, a pair of shorts (that didn't fit so I gave to my 13 year old daughter), and a sports bra. I had a few moments of guilt and panic, but then I decided to look at it as an investment in my goals. As soon as I got home, I changed and rode my bike up to the high school track and did 4 laps around at a fairly brisk pace.
It felt good! It was hot, but it actually felt good to be moving! I had the track to myself for the first two laps, and then a jogger dude came along. Oh, I also had the company of my 9 year old daughter and her little neighborhood friend....they happily ran around the football field and climbed the bleachers for the 1/2 hour we were there. I've read a lot of people who say tracks are boring for exercise, but for right now, it works for me. I like having the structure of counting laps, it feels like I am 'officially' working out - otherwise I would just walk aimlessly around my city. And it's somewhat 'private'....as I get started with this and get comfortable in my skin, I prefer the track to walking by my neighbor's houses right now! Besides, I've contributed tax dollars to the renovation of the high school and track, so it feels good getting my money's worth! It's a very nice track!
The other fun part of my walk is that there is a nice view of the back of our new city rec center which is another one of my goals! It is a beautiful facility...more tax dollars at work, and a great value at just $300 for my family of five for one year! 
This was not an intense workout by any means, but it is a step in the right direction. My plan is to walk every day either at work during my lunch hour, or in the evening at the track, until I feel ready to add in some running and start the C25K program.
Time to get on with the day now!


2 comments:
Cyndi: Way to start! You deserve the workout stuff, and it will help motivate you to get out and use it.
That track and facility look beautiful! I ran on the track at college with friends and enjoyed it because of knowing how far we ran.
Good to see your pic...cute...I am gathering mine to post this weekend sometime.
Congrats on getting started! I had to bite the bullet (quite a few times now) and spend too much money on my new hobbies. I consider it an investment in my future, and that I'll save money on health care costs to offset it one day.
Again, congrats!!
Post a Comment