Thursday, July 31, 2008

Let's Talk Food

I had a 'hungry' day yesterday. I think it was about 90% true hunger, and 10% 'don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself-so-I'll-eat-something'. Even though my primary focus for this journey is on exercise and getting fit, obviously I need to place a fair amount of importance on my food intake, and now I am second guessing my decision NOT to do a food journal and count points.

Here is my food for yesterday:

2 hard boiled eggs (1 with yolk, 1 just whites)
2 pieces of whole wheat toast
1 tsp butter
WW Yogurt


Lunch
Salad greens/tomatoes/cukes with grilled salmon
1 bag of pita chips (this was 4 unnecessary points)


After work: (this is where I think I wasted calories and started some 'mindless' munching - I could have picked more value-packed snacks here...)

2 fat free apple muffins
6 Rosemary/Garlic triscuits and 1 wedge Laughing Cow

Dinner
Smart Ones entree - cheesy enchilada thing with no veges (4 points)

Snack (this was at 10:00 PM....again, SO not necessary)

Smart Ones sundae (4 points) (maybe should have picked a piece of fruit here.....)


I realize this really isn't horrible, it could be much much worse I know (ahem, M&M's)- but for all I ate, there is a lot missing.

1) I was short on dairy
2) I was short on veges/fruit
3) I could have had 1 egg and 1 slice of toast at breakfast

When I got home from work yesterday I think I was a little 'lost'. My youngest was out and about in the neighborhood, my son was taking a nap and my oldest daughter and dad were not back from their camping trip. It was a day off from C25K, and I did not have any other exercise planned. Dinner was leftovers for the kids, frozen entree for me. To top it all off, with no 'exercise' yesterday, I noticed this morning I was a bit more sluggish waking up than I have been lately.

So after evaluating all this, I believe it will be dangerous for me not to journal food and track points for awhile... And second, I think I need to plan a full week of exercise in advance, even if it's just a moderate walk on my non-running days. I can not believe I'm saying this, but I think my body and my mind actually MISSED exercise yesterday????? Now THAT is crazy stuff!

Anyone who has been at this awhile, please feel free to offer thoughts and suggestions or rip my food choices apart! I can take it...that's why I'm here and that's the sort of support we all need!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning. My suggestions is TRACK!! There is something about having to write down what you ate that makes you think at least 4 times before putting it in your mouth, most days.

Don't beat yourself up about one day, you'll get back on track today and you have a workout ahead.

Keep up the good work and seriously, write it you will see a difference.

Kristy said...

2 Pounds! Way to Go, Fellow Wednesday Weigh-in-er!!
Isn't it great when exercising becomes something you look forward to? Looks like you're trying to carve out time to do it. Here's the site I use. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=633 It has great 10-15 minute workout videos and fitness tips and trackers, etc.

Keep up the great work, Cyndi!!!