Friday, May 8, 2009

Deep Thoughts

Remember the old Saturday Night Live Episodes with the 'Deep Thoughts' segments? I loved those! MY deep thoughts are serious though....seriously ;-)

I got back a little while ago from a nice run in the drizzle. I know I said I wasn't taking any chances running in rain a week before my race, but alas...I needed to get out and run off some steam this evening! One of 'those' moments - a spur of the moment get out and run and forgot some water kind of runs.

I was calm by the time I returned. It was a great one hour run.

I was able to think some things through, without interruption ~ I have said before that running has made me better able to address some challenges in my life. One issue in particular I'm still mustering up the gumption to face and make some hard decisions, but at least I'm thinking and weighing thoughts and carefully considering all angles - compared to 'before running', when I just ignored, avoided, buried, turned the other way....

Something I was thinking about during my run and I wonder how other runners feel about this with respect their own selves. Has running changed me? Am I a different person than I was a year ago? I don't recognize myself from a year ago , that's for sure. Aside from the obvious physical changes, I am a much different 'soul' then I was a year ago.

But, am I really 'different', or am I uncovering the 'me' that was here all along? I have uncovered a certain strength of spirit that I never had before, and I am learning to demand much more 'good' for my life, and I assume the responsibility for choosing what's good for me, what brings me happiness and joy, and most importantly believing that I deserve that happiness. Everyone does! Sometimes though, the search for contentment in life means making changes that may not be easy to do in the short term, but may be best for the long run.

Yes, Deep Thoughts for a Friday night. BUT the second half of my run was all about race strategy next weekend! Woot!

Carry water or no? (I would prefer not to, with 7 water stations I think I"ll be good?) How many Gu's to take? What will my first 5 mile strategy be - how 'slow' is starting out 'slow' for me? My 'sweet pace' for going long is around 12:20. I think I need to start out slower than that though. It's all a jumble, but I'll get it nailed down.

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, I'm soflippin' excited I can hardly stand it!

THIS first 1/2 marathon is indeed bringing me contentment, satisfaction, and joy. THAT is for sure!

Happy Mother's Day weekend!

Cheers~



6 comments:

Nicole said...

:) I love running and you are for sure different from last year. I can just tell with your words :) In a good way though, dont worry!

If i were you, I wouldnt worry about carrying water. But thats just me. I never felt like i needed more water until the very end. DO NOT start off to fast. No matter how much you think you'll have left, you will hate your life if you do. I promise. I did last week and it was not fun. Mile 12 was a B!tch. As for the GU, i have no idea. My boyfriends sister is a runner, and she has always told me anything longer than 10 she takes GU. But other runners say anything after an hour you need to be getting food back into your system.
So maybe bring 2? I didnt see many people with more than that last weekend. But again, what do i know? I ran the whole damn race with nothing but water and powerade every so often. I know what an idiot! :) :)

Happy Mothers Day Cyn! Your a great mom

Aka Alice said...

GAH! I left a comment today on the previous post...my reader is acting up... Ah well...same thing applies today.

That's funny that you were having those deep thoughts, I was thinking much the same thing when I ran this morning, about not only has running made me stronger physically, but also has changed me emotionally (and shall I say), maybe spiritually as well...so I get what you're saying.

I ran my last 1/2 w/o carrying water and there were 7 water stations...so it sorta depends on how warm it is going to be where you are, but I agree with Nicole, I think you'd be fine w/o.

I took 2 Gus with me, a Roctain and a regular. Did the Rocktain at about Mile 6 and the regular at about Mile 11 (when I felt myself running out of gas a bit).

and once gain...Happy M-Day!

Bek said...

Hey Cyndi,

I'm definitely loving the mental side of running. I don't even listen to music, just the world around, my breathing and my thoughts; if it weren't for running I would never really have time for so many thoughts. And as I run (something I thought I could never do) the thoughts are strong and positive which contributes to a happy strong Bek!

Great post!

Love to get a little deep every now and then!

Diana said...

The mental part of losing weight is WAY harder than the physical! I've shed so many tears over these past 2 years dealing with "why" I let myself go. I've also had tears of joy for who I've become. I am so excited for you and your first 1/2, I am sad that I won't be able to post a race report with ya! Looking forward to sharing in your day next weekend.....mine will just have to wait!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Your deep thoughts resemble mine, and you're so right, not sure if I'm different, or just uncovering something that was there, but so absolutely empowering. Congrats on your progress, and you'll kick a$$ in the HM, and anything else from there! Carrying water is a preference thing... I do because most of my pants don't have pockets, I don't like fumbling with pins for gels, and prefer to have water when I need it, not only at the aid stations. As long as you're comfortable with it :D Looking forward to hearing about it!

Aron said...

great post and i very much agree... i think its about uncovering someone that was already there. i def think i have changed since i started running.

i take 2 gu's during my halves, around 4.5 and 9... i also carry my own fluids because i dont like dealing with the water stops. GOOD LUCK!! you will do great!