Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Random Reflections

First, thanks everyone for your positive thoughts for Chris. Thankfully, the rest of the day yesterday was quiet for him and in true RockStar form, Chris was up and at’em bright and early this morning and ready to take on the day! And thus, I followed his lead….

I did not run yesterday since my focus was on Chris, but it’s just as well because my quads were still a little bit sore. Today the legs are 100% and I am really looking forward to a good 5 miles this evening. There is rain in the forecast though, so I’ll be bummed if I have to hit the treadmill! I am not taking any chances this close to race day by running in the rain, which normally I would love to do, but I don’t want any last minute sniffles getting in my way this close to race day!

I have taken some time off the weight training and cross training. Last week I did not go to the gym mainly because I wanted to be more rested for my 10 miler. Now I notice I am feeling really good and not as tired as I have been lately. So other than keeping up with some core work and push ups/planks, I’m putting a hold on the weight training until after the half. Also after the half I am going to try a Pilates class on Wednesday evenings at the rec. AND, I am excited for a Spinning Orientation on May 30th so that I can start jumping in to some spin classes to see what all the hubbub is about. So I have all kinds of plans coming up...to include a fall half marathon.

Yes everything has become ‘Before the Half’ or ‘After the Half’.

Watching the Biggest Loser last night, I was SO impressed with the four finalists and their completion of a full marathon! Especially Tara, with her sub-5 hour time? What a great accomplishment for all of them, who just 5 months ago were dangerously obese! Yes, they only had ’22 days’ to train for it, but really considering the last 18 weeks of workouts 6 or 7 hours a day – they had a good training going for this all along. The fact that there was a lot more running goin’ on through the season than I normally see tells me that Bob and Jillian were preparing them for this. However, the mental aspect of completing the marathon was just fascinating to me. And so…..

I have to do it!

It’s that simple. It’s on my List.

I’ve got my sights set on a Fall 2010 marathon. By then I will have (hopefully) three half marys under my feet and a handful of shorter races as well. (even though I don’t think the 5K thing works for me, but I’ve only done one so I have nothing really to base that feeling on).

I have not told the husband this yet, so it will be our little secret for now ok? :-) He’s very supportive and all, but I think he’s looking forward to THIS race coming and going and I’m pretty sure he thinks life will return to ‘normal’ after May 17th.

Ha ha…he has no idea …..

Cheers~

5 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Woohoo! Excited to see which one you'll choose to do! Glad to hear Chris is feeling better :)

Nicole said...

YAY!
1. i'm so glad chris is feeling better!
2. a marathon? cyn! i'm so proud of you! thats an amazing goal and i'm excited to be 'apart' of it along your running journey!

you rock

xoxo

NY Wolve said...

Good luck on getting to your goals.

Ms. V. said...

so glad your son is better...and no hair pis yet. i'm getting used to it still...

Aka Alice said...

Your son is a rock star (you said that allready, but it bears repeating...) and so are you BTW.

Yes, do the marathon...once, just because you can and you should...

I don't watch The Biggest Loser, but training for 26.2 in 22 days? How did they not get hurt increasing mileage at that rate? I don't get it.

Did you find the "Lose It" Ap for your Blackberry?

Oh, and I also gained weight when I was training for the marathon...all that carb loading, hence the need for a food diary. Clearly I didn't need ALL. THOSE. CARBS!

And finally...have an awesome Mother's Day this weekend!