Thursday, February 5, 2009

How do I know....

...... when new running shoes are not the right 'fit'?

My run Tuesday night basically was a pathetic attempt at a run. It felt all 'wrong' from the beginning. It was my first run in the new kicks on the treadmill. I felt like I had boots on and I was stomping on the treadmill...there is so much more actual shoe 'surface' on the Asics. My lower calves were aching, I had to keep adjusting my laces - it was just not a great run. The shoes felt better when I ran outside!

I am up for a 3 mile tempo run tonight with a mile before and after for warm up/cool down. But if things start feeling as bad as Tuesday, I am going to take that as a sign to take it easy this week period. I talked about doing a recovery week this week, and then decided to see how it goes. Let's hope for a better run tonight!

So, all of my experienced runner friends, is there usually a 'break in' period for new running shoes? Is it normal for things to feel 'different' for a few runs? I felt like I was using muscles I never used before! And the arch support is SO pronounced that my arches were all I felt when running. I didn't notice that so much when outside on the long run....

Or, it is possible that I was still 'tired' from said outside run on Sunday....and I was instead experiencing 'heavy legs'.

I guess I'm not sure at what point I say, these shoes are not good for me... also consider that I was unusually sore in not the usual places (quads) after my long run on Sunday...I just hope I got the right shoes! How can you go wrong with Asics?

It is so so so cold - but the sun is shining and there's nothing wrong with that!

Cheers~

6 comments:

Kelly said...

In my humble opinion...running shoes either work the first time you run in them or they don't. I firmly believe that shoes I bought at a running store (after an hour with a salesman)are to blame for my injury. If you have a running store, maybe go talk to someone...they can at least tell you about your foot/gait/etc. Again, just my opinion...good luck!!!

jessica said...

I usually wear my new shoes around for a few weeks before running any distance in them (like to the grocery store, work on Friday's, running errands, etc.). I even wear them with my running socks and let them start to adjust to my feet. If this is a new brand to you, give yourself some time to adjust to them, try alternating with your old shoes also, that has worked for me.

I missed commenting on your long run outside. You are going to be a little sore for a bit, your body is used to the treadmill and its predicitability - you threw it for a loop with all of the random movements on your outside run. I ran in the snow for the first time and my hips were killing me - you just have to give yourself some recoup-time. You are doing great, keep up the good work - and all of the posts, you are my lunch time escape =).

Oh yeah, make sure that you check into the return policy on the shoes - if they really don't work the good stores usually take them back, but they have a time period.

BeachRunner said...

You are smart to be questioning those kicks. I think they should feel comfy and good right from the beginning. If they don't feel right, they probably aren't.

maximus said...

I got new running shoes a couple of weeks ago and they felt great from the moment I put them on. There was no bedding in period.
I enjoy your blog, of all the running blogs I read you`re the nearest to my standard (though you are still much better).

SuperDave said...

I think everyones "breaking-in" is different. My weight usually knocks em in pretty fast.
The only thing that concerns me is that your feet are hurting. May need to get a different model?

RooBabs said...

I don't remember really breaking in my new shoes last summer, in fact, I think I ran a 10k the day after I bought them (and I had only run 2 miles in them at that point).

But I think everything you mentioned could be a factor- fatigue from Sunday, different surface on treadmill vs. outside, and getting used to the arch support. Maybe try another outside run, and see if they feel okay- but take a day off to let your legs rest. Oh, and did you make sure to stretch really good?