Sunday, February 22, 2009

Week in review

Today I wrapped up the week with an easy 4 miles on the 'mill. I'm looking forward to slowly building the long run up again - my longest run was 7 miles a few weeks back, and it's been nice to take a step back a little, get used to running 4 days and adding cross training to the plan. I feel well equipped now to slowly build some miles each week.

I'll say one thing...maybe it's mental but I already felt stronger with this morning's run just from the two strength workouts I did this week, one of which was late in the afternoon yesterday at the rec. I was worried that I would be sore for this morning's run, so I had a protein powder shake yesterday after my strength training. I felt GREAT this morning - no soreness at all. It was a nice and slow run, and my legs felt like they could go all day! I also took my trainer's suggestion to eat 1/2 a whole wheat english muffin with some peanut butter in the hour before I run in the mornings - which is usually on Sunday's...and I drank more water that I normally have while running. This all made for a great feel-good run today!

Speaking of soreness, for whatever reason - I did not feel sore from Wednesday's workout with the trainer until Thursday night and into Friday. I thought maybe because I only did one set of everything that I would not feel much...WRONG. By Thursday evening I was feeling every muscle in my core ha ha. I did not run Thursday evening because I had to do homework with Alison, and since I was sore anyway, I figured I would run Friday morning instead. Well, Friday morning I was beat and grew progressively more tired through the day and ended up going to bed at like 7:45 that night! Needless to say, NO RUN. I then slept until 9am yesterday! That is LATE for me, I am always up early....so my body must have needed the sleep, or maybe I was fighting some germies that seem to be plaguing everyone I know - who knows. As 'guilty' as I felt for missing a run, I know I must have needed the rest. I am learning to listen to my body and listen well.

Yesterday's workout at the rec was great - I did some stairmaster and then my strength workout. My arms and core were quivering during the planks and other exercises. iI love the Bosu ball. My leg workout was great too - it feels good to balance out the work on the legs! I really felt the difference already in my run this morning. And again...protein powder shake immediately after the workout - NO SORENESS this morning! Now we'll see if I have a 'delayed reaction' again - tomorrow I may be writing a different story! At least Monday is a rest/stretch day.

Later today I'll be registering for a 5K in March...although, if I can't find one, it may have to be a 5 mile race on March 14.

That's all I got folks! I hope everyone has a great week and everyone is back in good health soon! Lots of sickies out there in blogland :-( so a big get well for everyone! (*Cyndi passes out chicken soup*)


1 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks for the chicken soup, this bug just wont go away!

I like that your listening to your body. Seems its working out well for you.

Are you guys getting pounded with snow? It dosen't seem to want to 'go away' like i would like.

Hope all is well for you & you stay clear from the bug! :)