Wednesday, February 4, 2009

'Now shut up and go sit down!'

Humph! I've been shot.DOWN. My nose is out of joint, my undies are in a bunch (insert more euphamisms here and I have no idea how to spell that word at 5am).

Watching Biggest Loser last night, watching the 'at home players' weigh in - this was a big moment in the show because of course the 'at home' team members would be seeing their result of working out and eating right, at home, without the benefit of Jillian, Bob, the Ranch etc. One of the players weighed in an 'only' lost 15 pounds at home, which prompted her to cry and whine about how 'hard' it is on your own blah blah blah blah. (As it turns out she was one of the top at home losers for 30 days, and yes I would LOVE to lose 15 pounds in a month thank you).

So here comes Jillian's little side interview/comments about this player and she's all 'Shut UP! Quit WHINING' (yeah) Move ON (yeah!) I don't want to hear your stupid excuses! (YES!)'
Here I am in front of the TV: "YEAH Jillian, you TELL her! Amen SISTAH! Woo Hoo! No Excuses!" (and continue to plan how I can BE Jillian)

Then...... she drops the ZINGER:

Jillian: (all sarcastic-like and bad ass sounding) "People who are trying to lose weight have all these 'excuses' (said like a dirty word). I just LOVE these excuses: "Muscle weighs more than fat".

Me: (startled) 'huh? but it does right?'

Jillian: And oh yeah, yeah, here's the BEST ONE: 'I'm not losing weight but I'm losing INCHES'. HA! WHAT????!"


Me: (My Jillian-crush fading fast) Uh Oh...CRAP....


Well now. There ya go....My little bubble has been burst. Thanks for that Jillian. That's just great. My only 'comfort' in my lack of progress on the scale has been the fact that my pant size has been getting smaller, slowly but surely. It is what keeps me from whining too much about still being in the 140's. And now Jillian basically is saying 'shut up and go sit down' (or, stop eating so much and go work out as the case may be).

Yeah....my nose is out of joint. WAY out of joint. I need to think about this a little bit. The hard truth is that just the fact that Jillian LOOKS the way she does, after being an overweight individual herself? ...well, I'd have to say she is probably right. DAMN!

My hard reality? I am eating for weight maintenance. I am having difficulty reducing my calorie intake enough to lose 1-2 pounds per week. That is why it's taking so long for me to drop pounds. There is nothing wrong with losing 1-2 pounds per month, sure. But perhaps my 'I'm-losing-inches' buffer really is an 'excuse', a 'justification' for my slow weight loss. I am 'ok' with this slow healthy loss, however, I could and SHOULD be able to drop at least a pound a week with all the running I do.
Yes I'm more in to my running progress, but the fact is, I can probably run better with a little less weight on my body. And I am not using a well-rounded approach here. I picked up a 5 pound dumbell the other day while cleaning up, and I thought, 'wow, 5 pounds is really a lot of weight - imagine how much better running would be with just 5 pounds less?'.
Thanks a lot there, 'girlfriend'. Now I have to go come up with another 'plan'. Jillian basically put me in my place....I feel challenged to test her comments.


Stay tuned...


*humph*

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Cyndi,

I dont give a crap what 'jillian' said. Your doing awesome and if you can tell a difference in your waist then be proud of yourself and tell her to sit down and shut up! :)

Hugs from MI
<3 nic

Anonymous said...

Wow, food for thought. I think my panties are in a wad as well. Muscle does weight more than fat, but we should still be able to drop a couple of pounds a week. I guess I just need to work harder. Darn that Jillian.

Anonymous said...

I know.
I think Jillian exists to smack all of us into our collective places huh? :)

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

jillian is talking about morbidly obese people. They cant use muscle gain as an excuse to not drop weight. people with less weight to lose can. she should have made that distinction but somehow i think she doesnt pay much attention to what comes out of her mouth.

You are doing great!

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way too. Not having excuses leaves...what? Accountability. DAMN!

I love her, but the truth hurts.

SuperDave said...

Good post!
I see her point, but it is alot for "show" to motivate. Being slimmer isn't always about weight. You are doing great! Don't let her get you down.
Now put down that damn drumstick and get running! haha I took that from Jillian.

RooBabs said...

I agree with Kelly above. I think for really heavy people, gaining muscle doesn't really account for not losing as much weight. And what did we later find out about Aubrey (yellow girl who used that excuse)? The reason why she hadn't lost much weight was because of her eating. However, I think she did deserve major props for increasing her strength and endurance. But that still doesn't add up to weight loss if you're eating too much.

And I was a little irked when Jillian made the comment about losing inches. I think that's a surefire way to measure your progress, and if you aren't losing pounds, but are losing inches, you still deserve credit. As for you, if you're fitting into smaller sizes, that's cause for celebration. Especially since in your past, when you weighed less than you do now, but weren't as fit, you were in a larger size. So I think you deserve a pat on the pack. But if you feel like you can be more diligent with your calories to make improvements, by all means, go for it.

I know what you mean about being faster with less weight. This is a big motivation for me, too. = )