Saturday, February 28, 2009

Amen, I'm Alive....

I did my long run today instead of tomorrow because of other things going on this weekend, and enjoyed a little Nickelback to get me through 5 miles... courtesy of Alison's iPod. My favorite Nickelback song is 'If Anyone Cared'. Just the phrase 'Amen, I'm Alive' is enough to provoke some good perspective, especially after a long week filled with challenges at every turn.

The run today was sweet - slow and easy and I finished in 1:05 which is 5 minutes faster than my last five miler back on February 1st. Also, my average heart rate today was 140, drifting to 152 max. A month ago? 147 average 165 max

Today, I could really feel the progress I've made and I finished strong, and could have kept going. Tweaking my training plan was the best decision for me! I can not even explain enough what a huge difference cross training and consistent strength training has already made in my runs! I have to be careful on my *long* runs not to run too hard, so I made a huge effort today to keep it slow and that's why I finished strong.

I also have been running in my old shoes...I basically totally screwed up and bought the wrong shoes last month! I know I have to keep them now, so I'll just wear them around I guess. They are comfortable but not comfortable for running. I need a neutral/cushion shoe, NOT a stability shoe. I ran only in my old Nikes this week and my ITBS has barely made a peep. Once I get a gait analysis, my trainer suggested this website...very cool and great prices! Oh and not just shoes either...all kinds of 'stuff'! I'm going to need a part time job soon just to pay for my little hobby.....

FEBRUARY REVIEW AND LOOKING AHEAD

Since it's the end of February, it's time to review my progress and keep looking forward. My most important goal for this past month was to drop at least 5 pounds, because I felt that would make a huge difference for me. Goal accomplished! Check it:

Yep, I'm pretty pleased with that! And you can see that all the 'action' ocurred really just in the last 10 days or so - hmmm...coincidentally the same time I started eating MORE, and STRENGTH TRAINING, and well...all I can say about my trainer is that she is indeed the RockStar Plateau Buster.

So I would say February was a great transition month for me! I changed my training focus and ran more, but easier, cross/strength trained consistently, ate well and often, and my pace is getting every so slightly faster! I have to tell you, I am loving the weight training...almost right up there with running - look out MizFit! ;-)

March goals are really pretty much the same...slow steady base building, hopefully drop another 5 pounds, or at least some measurable body fat decrease. The weekend of March 28th has a 5K on my training schedule and I found a local race here on the 28th so that works well.

Then, my big *first* 10-miler, a huge milestone for me - is on the schedule for April 26th, and there just happens to be a 10 mile race here on April 25th, so I am thinking about doing that. Strictly as a training run though, I won't be doing any 'racing' of any sort on my first 10 miler! The race is called 'Run Like A God' ha ha - I'm sorry but that just cracks me up! As I will most likely be bringing up the rear and will so not be running like a god(dess).

And so...life is good! With each passing week, I'm feeling more confident that will be able to get through 13.1 in May. I've often had my 'what-the-hell-was-I-thinking?' moments, but those are fewer now! It ocurred to me today that the half marathon is exactly one year from the date of my car accident. It was a day that could have so easily ended very differently, and this year? I'll be singin strong, 'Amen, I'm Alive!'

Run on ~

2 comments:

Eric said...

Awesome way to end the month. Keep up the great training.

Bek said...

Great work Cyndi!

You are running hot!
The scales are finally rewarding you too...YAY!

Look forward to hearing more...