Ever since my lame run on Friday evening, which ended after just 2 miles on the track because the smell of the rubber or whatever it is (something black and smelly) made me ill. (Sneezy, wheezy, nausea, runny nose, sore throat etc.), well ever since that fiasco...my outer right leg has been sore from the hip, down the side of the thigh, even some tightening in the lower hamstring and some nerve-like feelings in my butt. I'm not sure sore is the word really, it is just this 'aware' feeling - like all I feel is my RIGHT LEG HIP BUTT, almost like I have icey hot on it. Every once in awhile I get this twinge, almost like an electrical shock in my right hip.
UGH. I'm sure this is the usual ITB / glute / hip flexor related tightness that I've had pretty much since I started running. No pain, no limping, just this annoying, constant 'I-really-need-to-stretch-it" feeling. Today it has been worse than usual.
I am on my feet constantly all weekend. I sit at my desk all day at work, and then on the weekend, I am a warrior for sure...between the workouts, running errands, doing housework etc. I very rarely sit. And that aggravates this issue, whatever it is. My self-diagnosing Google search points to inflammation of the TFL, and mentions it's involvement in the 'IT Band Syndrome'. My knee doesn't bother me really anymore - everything is up around the outer hip now.
So this basically stinks! First, after a decrease in weekly miles, both before and after the half, I start running like gangbusters, going faster than I probably should have - even though my mileage has been pathetically low. Then, I totally ignore stretching now. I am a slacker stretcher, or my attempts to stretch are pretty lame in any case. I am paying the price now. Even my hamstring feels tight and I never had issue with the hammies before. I have not done any significant core strenthening work - not consistently anyway. I have not done any lower body strength training for over a month. What is it about runners that as time goes on, we think we are 'invincible' and don't need stretching and strengthening?
Well, now I know. My shoes only have 132 miles on them, so I don't think it's my shoes. I think it is all related to muscle imbalance, which may be affecting my gait...who knows. I guess I need to go see a doc but I have no idea who to see. Do I go to an orthopedic doc? Do I go straight to a PT ? I just feel silly because I'm not in pain , but I know I shouldn't feel THIS. It does not hurt or bother me while I am running. It is a day or two after I run, or, after a long run (over 5 miles) I may feel it when I fatigue or as soon as I stop running.
I have a very limited range of motion in my right hip. For example, sitting in a chair and placing the right ankle on my left knee? My right knee will not lower down so that my lower leg is parallel to the floor. My right knee is almost straight up! Repeat to the other side, and I can lower my left knee so that my leg is parallel to the floor, or at least, pretty close to parallel. I'm pretty sure I need some professional guidance and instruction for a stretching regimine to get this corrected once and for all.
I feel like it's not going to keep me from running, and it's hopefully early enough that I can get it taken care of before it gets worse. I don't think I can attempt any speedwork, or hills, until I at least get it evaluated. The smart me knows that I would be pretty stupid to ignore it - after all the reading I've done about running injuries, stretching and massaging etc.
I will take it easy this week and do lots of stretching and cross training and *maybe* take the week off from running. I'm just frustrated because I haven't gotten fully back into a groove yet since my half mary, and I was afraid that would happen. But I know I need to address this before I feel comfortable diving into another training cycle, especially since it will be a little more intense since I'm working to increase my pace.
I have seen some great early race results on FaceBook from some of BlogLand, so I'm looking forward to some good reports this week! I was hoping to run a 5K this coming weekend, but now I'm not so sure that will happen. Any running I do this week will be slow, easy and short!
UGH.


7 comments:
Ouch!! I hope you feel better soon.
Oh Cyndi...I swear we share a life...
I think all of my running problems are related to imbalance as well, so after thinking and talking and asking, I've decided that I'm going to go to a sports PT who advertises (and who was recommended) as someone who will do a gait analysis and will work with me on strengthening my parts that need it.
I don't know if that helps or not. Part of my inaction (for the past few months, despite my continued whining about being in pain) has been that I really didn't know what to do.
Good luck. Running in pain SUCKS!!!
Well, as you know I have been in pain and not running for a long time...so DON'T let it get that bad!!!! I would try PT first...my guy has me doing stretches and specific strength exercises. Maybe yoga too...I really like how I feel after an hour of yoga. I DVR inhale on the Oxygen channel...it is at some unGodly hour here.
Cyndi,
I am going thru something similar but with a tendon in my ankle. It's all due to tight muscles which resulted from NOT STRETCHING. I have not been able to run for pretty much the last two months. Please take care of this now before it gets worse. I'm seeing a PT and he has me doing stretches 3 times a day. I also need to strengthen my muscles so I'm working on that too. Good luck. It sucks being sidelined with an injury that is totally preventable.
Cyndi,
One of my first blog posts was about that fasciata stuff. The trainer from hell decided to focus on it during one of my first trips to the gym. Lucky I continued after that. But, I digress...you can both see if that is a piece of the pie as well as do some self therapy very easily. Run your knuckles down the outside of your thigh, pushing in. Does it hurt? If it does, keep doing it. It loosens up something. Maybe the fasciata? Maybe something else. But it works. I do it all the time, and it really does relieve the pain in other parts of my legs, mostly for me the knees. Hope this helps. If you want to know more, I know I looked into it after the trainer from hell made me cry, so there is some reference to what it's about and what to do about it early on in my blog.
I used to have some killer pain in the right hip, right knee, right whatever until I found the problem.....my left leg, as it turns out, is 1/2 inch shorter than the right. Therefore with all the running and whatever, I was putting extra pounding on my right side. I now have orthotics with the left one being 1/2 inch higher and now my gait is all good!
Just a thought, once at the doctors office-make sure they measure you up!
Good luck!
I agree with the others, better to get it checked out now before allowing it to get worse, possibly resulting in a lot more time off! It definitely sucks though, hugs.
Post a Comment