Friday, June 5, 2009

Wishy Washy

I have a confession to make! I ALMOST did not run on National Running Day! The reason? Something stupid like I felt ‘tired’, my stomach was bothering me, the weather was dreary….but I sucked it up and went anyway, just saying to myself ‘I will feel better after I run’ over and over and over. And guess what? No surprise here, I felt GREAT both during and of course after the run. So….*phew*, that was close! I almost dissed National Running Day, but I didn’t. I also ran 11:19 minute miles…I think it‘s safe to say ADIOS to those 12+ minute miles! Well, except for maybe long runs…

At the risk of sounding wishy-washy, I have decided to follow the Higdon training plan (Intermediate) instead of the SmartCoach plan. The reason is because the RW plan has my paces SO slow. My ‘easy’ pace right now is right at 12:00, and the training plan has it at 13:49? Sorry, that is just too slow for me now. I want to run how I feel on a given day, and the Higdon plans are not based on pace. I will tweak the Higdon plan a little, since I believe there are 4 running days a week on it – I will replace one of the easy runs with biking or other aerobic XT.

I’ve also decided NOT to do the Akron Roadrunner race in September, because if I’m interpreting the maps correctly, it appears to be a hilly course. I don’t want to bust my butt trying to improve my pace and then go struggle/walk through hills! The website even says ‘rolling course’. Uh, NO thanks! Maybe next year….

So instead, I will do THIS race. Towpath Marathon, Half & 10K. It is a ‘flat, fast course’ with a great surface to run on and right in the peak of fall leaves. It is a smaller race too, so it will be kind of cool to experience a different sort of race. That will be October 11th!

So I feel good now, like all my ducks are in a row!

Weather looks great for weekend runs around here, hope it is the same for all of you!

I have twenty 14 year olds invading my backyard tomorrow evening, boys included – UGH, here we go!




3 comments:

Diana said...

Nice when things all fall together isn't it?!
Have a great weekend with all the 14 year olds! Boys included! Can I come over! He-he!

Lisa said...

The runs that we don't feel like running are usually the good ones. Glad you got out there and ran.

Totally agree on the Smart Coach plan. I was following it for a
10k race and it had paces that were much slower than what I was used to. I'll be following the Higdon Novice HM plan when I start my half training.

Umm, good luck with the party. I think running a race is a lot easier lol.

Eric said...

Good choice on the fall Half. I was going to mention that Akron is a little hilly.