Happy National Running Day! Is anyone tired of seeing this logo scattered throughout the blogs? I'm not! A year ago, I had no idea what 'running' was. Seriously. Sure, I had heard about my sister in law running 'some race' and thinking oh that's cool, good for her. But in no way did I relate running to ME - it never crossed my mind that this was something that I could do.But now of course, we all know that has changed. I AM a runner. NO matter how fast, how slow, how often....we are all runners! So I am going to enjoy this sort of goofy 'made up Hallmark holiday' and have fun with it!
For starters, of course I will be going out for a run tonight. I have a confession....I have been a running slacker since the half marathon. Yes, I have run...but no, I have not put it any significant miles, or anything over 3 miles at a time for that matter. The intention has been there, believe me...life has just gotten in the way the last two weeks or so. It is the end of the school year, I had two kiddo's birthday's to celebrate, my work side of my life has been extremely stressful lately. My mind and my body has been tired.
Last night I had a little 'come to Jesus' with myself. This is how that old pattern of 'I don't have time to exercise' turns in to making reasons not to, then, the pounds creep up, and before you know it - here we are fat, out of shape, unmotivated and depressed!
Ok, I'm nowhere CLOSE to that right now, lol....but even though I had a GREAT run last Friday, and a wonderful 8 mile bike ride with my daughter over the weekend (instead of a long run), I am feeling a bit 'disconnected' from my sport. And I don't like it!
So, I have reset my training plan date in my online log, and I have a run scheduled tonight, Friday and Sunday. And hopefully some gym time Thursday and Saturday. I have goals for my next half. I have weight goals....and speed goals, some muscle buildin' goals - even some changing life goals as well. So I need to get movin'....back to the program! What better time to do it then on National Running Day! Woot!
This was going to be a separate blog post, but since I've been a blog slacker too, I will just throw this in for discussion. I've been seeing a lot of articles and discussion around walking during marathons, and long runs. It's a touchy subject between elite runners, experienced runners and back of the packers like myself! For myself, I was awfully hard on myself back in the beginning months, after finishing C25K, I felt like walking should be over. I RUN now. But when my miles started building up to the 8, 9, 10 mile range....taking 30 second to 1 minute walk breaks early (before I felt the need to walk) and often was my lifeline to successful completion of a long run, and also made for a good recovery!
So for rookie runners especially, I am ALL FOR a Galloway-type method in those long runs, and during 1/2 marathons or marathons. Walk breaks make me run stronger when I run. I finished an 8 mile run faster with walk breaks, then I did the first time with NO walk breaks, or very few anyway. I advocate walk breaks especially for the adult onset athlete....like the 40+ folks like me....I need to take care of the old legs if I want to run into old age. That is why I still only run three days a week. That is why I cross train on a bike or stairmaster (I try anyway).
So for me, right now, anything 6 or less miles - I can run the whole thing. Hey that's more than I could even comprehend one year ago! Beyond 6 miles - I take the walk breaks, depending on the day at hand, it could be a 7 minute: 1 minute ratio, or a 5:1, or a 4:1 even. Eventually as my fitness improves, I will get to a 1 mile run: 1-2 minute walk ratio. Who knows? And by walk breaks, I don't mean walk only when tired...these are scheduled breaks, taken from the get go...whether I feel the need or not.
Here is the article that prompted me to throw this out for discussion:
Better Running Through Walking
And so....what say you? What is your walk strategy? What works for you, and how did you struggle with letting yourself walk at first?
Run on~


6 comments:
I started my "running" life too with the walk/run thing. That was the best for me. I'd run for 30 seconds, pick up my lung...and then walk, and etc.....eventually I did my first mile, first 2, first 3, blah, blah, blah. But now while training for my 1/2 mary that we all know how it turned out, I too had to take some walk breaks after usually 7 or 8 miles. What ever gets us over the finish line is fine with me. The only person I"m out to impress is ME! The fact that I too am running like I am now a days, still freaks me out!
Good luck with the runs coming up!
lemme put it this way. i hated running as a kid... smoked for 10 years, and had epilepsy, resulting me in not being able to do very much, so i was very unfit. when i quit smoking, i needed to do something to shed some pounds, and 'found' running. well, my cardio/fitness sucked, so the 10:1 ratio worked and continues to work well for me. I find that the one min walk also allows me to run faster during the 'running' part. i know some people are against it, but i'm 'me', and can only do what 'me' can.
When i ran in High School I never walked. It was forbidden. Obivously since I ran cross country. I dont think I walked in a race ever. Actually I know I didnt. However, now that I run for me and me only, I'll take a walk break if I feel like it. This isnt the olympics and i'm not trying to please anyone but myself. I walked through water stops at the 1/2 and a little towards the end and it felt good. But sometimes when I stop running, starting back up is harder than it would be to just continue running. I'm iffy on the subject. Somedays I can walk faster than I run, other days walking is the last thing I would consider.
Happy Runnying Cyn! Your a rockstar!
I totally feel that people should do whatever works for them. For me personally, I have it in my mind that I'm not running if I walk during any part of it. I want to have the endurance to run without walking. That said, I do slow my pace dwon but I still run, just slower. Then I kick it back up when I feel ready to do so.
I plan to run a HM this year and I will be really disappointed in myself if I walk any part of it. I know I can do it with proper training.
As a newbur to this sport, I am only on week four of c25k. So I walk most of it. But I don't care how other people feel about me walking. Heck I could be sitting in front of the TV watching Hgtv and eating junk food but I decided to make a change... For me. A couple I gave Bible study with, did the BM and they are very supportive of my wogging.
Fluffy in Seabrook
Btw not an idiot. Trying to respond on my iphone. Dang auto correct. :)
Post a Comment