Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I *Heart* Endorphins


I finally got a 3 mile run in this morning, early - out the door at 5am. Thankfully, I slept well last night, so that helped a lot! This was my first run since Friday, and THAT run really did not 'count' for much of anything. My run today was awesome though and I feel so much better than I did yesterday.

I reviewed my log this morning...since the 1/2 marathon on May 17th, I have only run 16 miles! In three weeks...that is IT. I have had such a difficult time getting my game back on . Is this normal? Is this post race blues? I've heard of that happening after a marathon, but a half? I guess for me, the half WAS my 'marathon' - it was a big effort, long weeks of training etc.

Well anyway, great run this morning, and the endorphins are flowing! This is what I really needed, and too many days between runs results in running the endorphin tank down to ZERO. Time to get it filled up again!
Must.Run.More.
Cheers~

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Good for you. No advice on the post race blues because I haven't run a half yet. Hope that was the kickstart you needed.

cath said...

yep..I always find it hard to press the refresh button after a half!..so Im guessing it's normal. It is one of the things I'm working on..to keep running after a half..not have a huge break. Congrats for doing your first half as well...a milestone!!!

Diana said...

Love the cartoon!
Don't be too hard on yourself, it's a lot of work training and then completing the 1/2, so no need to be so hard on yourself for not running much since.
You deserve a break!

Nicole said...

In regards to the last 3 posts. I know i've been a slacker.

The post from sunday:
When i run on a track, constantly the same loops the entire run, my legs KILL. In highschool i did track and obivously would have serious issues after running 2+ miles in a circle. SO i would run one lap clockwise, then another lap counter clockwise. I changed it up and it helped a TON! I think unknowingly, we all lean towards the center of the track while running, which causes issues. I hope this makes sense.

Piriformis stretching will be helpful as is stretching out your IT band. Obivously you've gathered that by now.

My mom is 45 or 46 i cant remember. Anyways, last year she had this ablasion procedure done to her uterus. She was having insane monthly cycles that never really stopped. She was under for the procedure, and it was painful, however she is SOO much happier now! Why i just told you this, god only knows. But if your having issues with your cycle, maybe this could be suggested. Who knows, i'm only 22.

Now for commentning on this post! YAY for a good run. Post race blues are difficult. The last week after my 1/2, i think i ran like 14 miles. It will take time. Give yourself a few days of cyndi time and get excited about running. If you do something SO much, your bound and determined to get 'sick' of it once in a while! Keep your chin high my love, it will all be okay!!!

XOXO

Aka Alice said...

I think part of the reason I keep signing up for races is to keep the post-race blues away. It gives me something to look forward to, and I need that. So yes, I completely think you can get post-half-mary blues...I get post 5K blues.

Glad you got out there. I've got pathetic milage this month too.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i'm the same way as AKA Alice... having a race to look forward to and train for keeps me motivated. Don't be too hard on yourself though, continue enjoying your victory :)

Eric said...

Post race blues can occur after any event. So yes this is normal. The blues come from the aftermath of finishing the big event, sprint tri, half mary, full mary, long triathlon, 50 miler, etc. You have been so jacked up about reaching your initial goal you come out of it with an attitude of "now what?".

This is normal. Like Alice says having something on the horizon keeps you motivated. As I taper for a long race I usually have my race schedule planned further out.

You have the fall half to work towards. Get back on the plan for another run training cycle.

As far as lack of mileage, I've maybe run 15 since Triple T. With running the recovery time is much longer. Some people say to take a rest day for each mile ran. 13 miles = 13 days, especially at any intensity.

Work is a great recovery tool.

SuperDave said...

Sry i haven't been around, but not anymore..
What I realized - hence my AWOL of blogging has alot to do with the end of my half marathon. Same as you.. I think for both of us, it is a gaveus a bit of the blues..
We both trained for big races and now that they are over - we are saying to ourselves, "what next?"
I think we both need to find another race or something to keep us running.. and get rid of the blues.

RooBabs said...

Amen to the post race blues, sister!! I went through the same thing back in January, plus I ended up with a monster cold, and found out I was pregnant, so I didn't plan another race to bring back the motivation. I think part of it is our body's natural way of slowing us down to recover, so don't feel too bad.

Also, about your hip/leg issue. It sounds similar to my IT Band issue that I was having while training for my half. I had issues with my knee last summer, but I got a strap to wear, and stopped running laps around the park (running too much in a circle definitely causes imbalance issues) and it went away for a while. Then the hip pain started in December. It was tight all along the outer edge of my thigh and hip, but the pain was mostly just around my hip. I bought another strap to wear up high, and it definitely helped. I also started doing more stretching (and ibuprofen until I found out I was preggers).

Hopefully your stretching routine will help. I've definitely heard that foam roller works wonders (the lady that heads up our running group swears by it!). Great job on your half by the way- you did awesome!!