Saturday, January 31, 2009

January Wrap-Up

It's time to post my January stats, and then lay out my lofty goals for the month of February. The best part of saying this? After February, a short month, comes MARCH! Which means SPRING (although in these parts, that's negotiable), and soon the outdoor running ops will be more. I can't wait! I remember when running outside was 'harder' than the 'mill, but now with some more miles on my feet, I'm ready to hit the open road for those longer runs.

January was good! It was like one long run really. It took the first two weeks just to 'recover' and regroup after the holiday madness, and by the middle of the month I was feeling back in the groove, adding more miles and developing more endurance. I celebrated my 6 month anniversary of running, which is so cool for me. If I get to sneak in a couple easy miles today, I will have 34 miles logged for January. Not SO impressive in the whole scheme of things, but definitely the most ever in a month for me, so I am on my way!

Weight loss - well, as I expected, there is nothing fabulous to report there, but again, I wasn't focusing so much on that. I broke up with the scale, focused on my running - which consequently led to hunger, and probably consuming more calories then I had been. Plus some stress eating and poor planning proved to hinder my good habits. I weighed in at 147 this morning, and pretty much have been bouncing between 145-148 for the last 30 days. On Jan 1st I weighed 147, so NO weight loss officially for January.

However, I continue to lose inches so I am not overy concerned about 'weight' these days.
In the meantime, for February, I continue my 1/2 marathon training, which is definitely starting to kick my butt! These are some of my goals for the next 4 weeks:

1- Weight loss I'd like the scale to show me a little love and be down closer to 143 by the end of the month.
2 - Cross Training - I have not gone to our rec center yet, so I plan to start next week. I want to check out a pilates class, meet with a personal trainer, and maybe add some eliptical workouts.
3- Continue 1/2 marathon training, and perhaps do 4 days of running instead of 3. I would like to add one slow and easy 2 mile run to the plan, depending on how I feel in a given week.

4- I have been slacking on core/strength exercises, but still focused on good stretching and flexibility. The lack of core work translated to NO inches lost in the waist. LESSON LEARNED. I will make at least two strength workouts a week just as important as the runs, by writing them down in my planner. When all else fails (time limitations), basic crunches and planks will be better than nothing at all!

Lots of lofty goals, but as long as I can look back on each month and find some sort of progress, I am good with that. January was GREAT in terms of running more miles and getting a wee bit faster. I don't know why I am still such a slow runner...I know speed is not important, and I'm still a newbie...I get all that, but I just want to be a little faster!

I'd love to hear what YOUR goal/s are for the coming month! Do share....

6 comments:

SuperDave said...

I'm glad you stopped paying attention to the scale. The scale is a bad cold than we can't get rid of..LOL
Your running is doing great! My only suggestion is when Spring hits try to up your running to 4 days a week. It will help with the 1/2 training. It has helped me. My running feels stronger due to the 4th day- yes an easy 2-3 miler. Sadly, I only have time for 3 like you... BLAH!!
It's amazing how running slims the hips, butt, and thighs. My loss in pants sizes is going much faster than my stomach size.. LOL!!
Toned legs, fat stomach - not a good look for me.. hehe

Nicole said...

Running takes up SO much time! Especially long runs. I normally get 1 long run in a week and then i run 4-5 miles each day. UGH it still takes forever though. Once you get in a routine of running 4 or 5 days a week, its not that bad :)

Micki said...

i know you dont know me but i am friends with nicole and i was just looking around @ different ppls blogs and wanted to complement you on your awsome job of working out!! :)

Sree said...

I'm so much inspired!!Wish I could do it too.Good wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

I WILL crosstrain this morning.

wait.

that was a typo.

this MONTH.

I can totally do it this morning.

feel free to nag me :)

RooBabs said...

Congrats on losing an inch from your hips! That definitely helps in the pants department. And congrats, too, on your biggest mileage month so far. Yay!!

Your goals seem totally realistic and doable, especially for you! I'm backing you 100%. And definitely keep up with the core work, because it helps your running- this is what I learned during the Ab Challenge last year. Good for you for doing your stretching!!