Monday, September 22, 2008

A Garmin on the Horizon, Yessss!

All is well today! I had a kick butt workout yesterday, finished Week 8 with a 28 minute run very comfortably and then did an upper body workout that actually has me a little sore today which is nice! Today I've got my old 'home made' WW log out and I'm tracking on it at my desk at work. My very first 'ding ding ding' moment came this morning as I bagged up some Kashi Heart to Heart cereal for part of my breakfast. I actually measured out the 3/4 cup serving size and my first thought was 'that's it? that's all I get?' . Guess what, I've been dumping TWICE that(if not more) in a baggie on most days! That's an extra 110 calories a day, 550 calories per week! Oi vey...makes me wonder what other little surprises are in store for me this week.

Another really cool thing - last night while skimming through the Sunday ads after dinner, I came across my birthday present. On sale at Best Buy....the Garmin Forerunner 50 with heart monitor and foot pod, for $149.99! That's 50 bucks off...I cut it out and gave it to the hubby and said 'put this in your wallet and take it to Best Buy'.

I think this model has everything I need....there was a Polar watch I've had my eye on, but the $229 price tag is a bit steep. If anyone has any opinions or other suggestions - feel free to share. I want something that monitors heart rate, pace, distance etc.

I decided to pass on the Cleveland Heroes run yesterday. For starters, it was a two mile 'fun run' and then the 5 mile race. I decided to stick with my original 5K plan....yes I can run two miles, but I don't know....I'm on this path to my first race as a 5K, not a two mile fun run. Not that there's anything wrong with that either...I just wanted to stick with my plan I guess.

Here's to a good week for everyone!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I have a Garmin & its really cool to use. However, i live in the country and it loses GPS signal when i run through the woods. :( I know lots of people that use them & LOVE them but i cant use it were i live. :( The nike+ has been working real well for me lately however, it dosent have heart rate.
I say go for it though! If i lived in the city i would use mine like crazy!

K @ Running Through Life said...

Woohoo! A garmin is a great b-day present! Good luck on your runs! You can do it!!

Anonymous said...

Let me know how you like it as the holidays are coming and I am only asking for work out related gifts :-)

It's AMAZING what you learn when you measure, I have been there too. Now that you're so aware it gets to be almost scary.

Congrats on the 28 minute run. You're well on your way to that 5K. I am so excited for you.

Kristy said...

Sounds like such a cool gift! I wish I wasn't such a technotard.

28 minutes? Girls like you laugh at runs like that. Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog and wanted to say I LOVE my Garmin! Got it for my birthday last year and use it at every run. I have only had a few times when the signal was tough to catch but I'm in the city. It sometimes take a while to catch the signal but I'm really happy with it overall! Good luck with the 5K! I completely understand about the fun run.

SuperDave said...

Koshi cereal..It's healthy, but I hate the taste of it..
I bet if I was to measure my food , I would definitely be overeating.. Good idea..
Sounds like a good price on the Garmin 50..
Also check here..
Garmins