For anyone who is a Biggest Loser Junkie like myself, the new season begins tonight on NBC. I have watched every season of this show, and I never get tired of it. Now, don't get me wrong - there are some things about the show that are a bit irritating. For starters, the little 'planted' advertising they do. That can get a bit annoying, but that's business I guess.
The biggest issue I have with the show is the rate of weight loss from week to week. I realize of course, the more weight there is to lose, the larger the weekly losses will be, especially in the beginning. And we all know that if we had a personal trainer telling us exactly what to eat and when, and exercising with us every day (4-6 hours per day!)...well sure, we could see some pretty impressive results pretty quickly. I just think maybe some viewers may set some unrealistic expectations for themselves based on the show, and that is unfortunate.
But the show as a whole really appeals to me on many levels. The basic premise of weight loss stands tried and true....exercise and healthy eating of a variety of foods leads to weight loss. But also, the psychology of the journey is fascinating to me. I love the first episode, because I like to guess who the top two 'losers' will be. I base this soley on how the episode is edited to highlight each participants character. Who will be the fighters? Who will be the underdog but come out on top? Who will be the competive team? Who will be in it soley for themselves, and who will be the team players? And the best question of all, at what point in the game for any of the contestants does this transformation become a personal quest, not a financial quest?
I love making these 'judgments' in the first one or two episodes and that watch how it all plays out over the weeks. I am fascinated by the transformations, the physical stress, the emotional component, the interpersonal relationships....it's all good stuff to me! My 13 year old daughter watched last season with me, and she was hooked too.
As I continue on in my own 'transformation', I will be watching this season from a different perspective. I hope to 'lose big' also in my journey, but as far as I'm concerned, I've already 'won big' just by getting started!
PS - Just as an aside, I loved Ali Vincent, last season's winner. I think saw a lot of myself in her attitude and her motivation, without really realizing at the time why I was so drawn to her. In some photos, she almost seems to have lost too much weight though...love the muscles, but I guess I'm more of a 'curvy' girl, ha ha!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I agree with you on the unrealistic expectations of weight loss based on that show and A LOT of other ads (not related to BL). We are a society based on instant gratification and something that losing weight typically isn't.
It is great that you have been able to embark on this realistic journey and you have been successful. They say that if it comes off slowly you're more likely to keep it off.
How cute that your daughter watches with you. You look great in your pics!! Keep it up.
I'm a BL junkie, too! I love to be inspired by normal people making a huge commitment to change their lives, and then celebrating in their victories (or being disappointed when the scale doesn't show their hard work).
It always amazes me what people are capable of doing when they really put in the effort (and have the right motivation and support).
Post a Comment