Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fighting with my Garmin - GRRRRR!

Ok, so I got up early today for my run (Day 1 Week 1 OHR). By the time I fiddled with the Garmin, trying to figure out how to manually calibrate it, which I didn't, it was 5:40 am before I hit the 'mill. We have the wake to go to this evening so I had to do this morning run, but I'm starting to like this early bird thing so I'm good with this.

Anyway, first I couldn't calibrate the Garmin so after 30 minutes, I think it says I ran 9 miles ha ha...HARD-LY. Then I made SURE I saved my workout this time, which I did. But then I'm getting 'Data Transfer Failed' errors on my PC. I can see that the computer is connecting to my watch, because it says 'connecting with 'Cyn's Garmin', but the data doesn't transfer.

Then when I try to view the data on the watch in History mode, I don't see any heart rate info, pace info, calories burned - nothin? All it says is this:

Start 5:40
AveLap 30'00"
Lap 1 30;00"
Run 1 9.23 (what is this?)

Those are the only stats I see in History Mode for 'Run 1'

So - something is not set up right somewhere - either the communication between my watch and the wireless antenna that plugs in to my USB port, or something between the ANT+ and my PC. I've double checked everything on the watch and on the PC, and now I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a soft reset and just start it all over again.

The only thing I think I missed is during the first upload, the Garmin Connect site is supposed to open and I'm supposed to enter my log in info, and that never happened.

I will figure it out eventually but I am very surprised at how difficult this has been? I feel like all the setup steps were laid out backwards or something and somehow I missed something somewhere. I am actually pretty tech savy, considering my employment ha ha. I am failing miserably at this though!

By the way, I did have a truly great run and did manage to keep an eye on my heart rate which averaged around 145 - 150. The 80% of my max rate is 143, so that's where I tried to keep it. However, by doing that, I covered much less in terms of distance - so that does tell me I've been working hard! More like 80-90% of my max heart rate. In any case, 30 minutes gets easier each time and doesn't seem so 'long' anymore.

If I can just figure out the Garmin I'd be a happy girl! ;-)

Edited later: Look what I find on the Garmin site today (Now I don't feel so clueless ha ha, but I still can't transfer my data):

Question: Why does it fail when I try sending data to Garmin Connect?

Answer:
The Garmin Connect website is still being developed and we are aware of some issues which are being worked on. Once we have merged our old MotionBased website over to the new Garmin Connect website, you will have access to all of the features and the data transfer issue you are experiencing will be resolved. We expect the Garmin Connect site to be fully operational by Autumn 2008.
In the mean time you can use our free Training Centre software which can be downloaded here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

Last modified on: 09/11/2008

3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

I cant help with your Garmie, but I think the problem is that you woke up at 5:40am. Who could possibly be of sound mind to calibrate anything at that early hour. LOL. Good luck figuring that thing out.

SuperDave said...

Another great pic transformation.
Before I got my running watch, I had no way of paying attention to my HR. I use to run fairly "hard" during my runs. After getting the watch, I realize too that I was probably in the 85-95% of max "pre -watch."
Try to stick to a good HR plan like. - Most days you should try running in 65-75%( Easy), kick it up to 75-85%(mod) for 1/3 of time of runs, and HR%85 and up only about 10% a week(speed.) That's what most good running plans say..
BTW 65-85% is ideal aerobic zone.(Most fat burning) :)
I have a lot to burn..hahaha

Nicole said...

could >> Run 1 9.23 (what is this?)
<< that mean your frist run was at 9.23 pace? lol. i'm no good at that stuff. to be quite honest, i dont think my garmin has ever been connected to a computer. maybe thats why it never really worked right. maybe its the operator (me- not you). i wish i knew who you could ask?? sorry i'm no help.
good luck!