Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm a C25K Grad!

I've been 'MIA' for a few days, but just a lot of 'life' goin on I guess and this is my first opportunity to post. Chris has had a rough couple of days, poor kid...he had to miss the Homecoming Dance last night. He really didn't realize it until this morning, but he was so out of it yesterday that I'm sure it never crossed his mind. Let's just say, it bothered us more than him. He's been doing pretty well - seems to be on an 'every other weekend' cycle of seizure activity, and hopefully I'll hear from the neuro office tomorrow on a med increase, which I believe is in order at this point.

Also learned of the sudden loss of a close family friend Friday, and this week is going to be a little rough - especially for my husband. (It was his best friend's brother) These things are not easy for anyone of course...but I don't do well with wakes and funerals, mostly because I can't bear to see others in such deep pain and suffering such a loss. I can handle my own sadness in my own way, but to see others grieve is so hard and I never know quite what to say/do.

This is not meant to be a 'depressing' post though! (Just sharing the 'life' stuff really!)

With Chris down and out, I did not do my final C25K run yesterday, but I did do it this morning - WITH my new Garmin (yes!) AND I hit the road outside too, which was very cool! So I'm officially a C25K 'graduate' and feel really very very good about this accomplishment! My 'graduation' picture is posted to the left. So for anyone currently working through the C25K program, or thinking about it....trust me when I say, it is a very manageable program for beginners, and you will definitely see some results over 9 weeks. I am very pleased, and looking forward to moving on to One Hour Running now. For the next 3 weeks, the plan calls for 30 minute runs, 3X's a week. Which I am fine with sticking here for a bit, because I don't feel 'ready' to add more time yet.

So - a few thoughts on the Garmin....first of all, just a side story here....when my husband purchased it at Best Buy Wednesday evening, the clerk somehow ran his card FIVE TIMES. Yes, FIVE. Well if you use debit/credit cards, you know that the funds are immediately 'taken' from your bank account. In our case....the 'purchase' of FIVE Garmins in one day literally cleaned out our checking account! All was not 'corrected' until over night Friday - so let's just say, it was an interesting 48 hours on top of everything else going on around here! :-) But I lived to tell you about it, so all is well.

I found the Garmin user guide a little 'clunky' and 'brief' - especially with regard to downloading the software to the computer and installing drivers etc. I managed to fumble through it, but the user guide makes it seem MUCH more simple than it really was. I ended up downloading Garmin Connect AND some 'trainer' program - I'm not sure I need both or what, but I plan to use the Connect program for now. If any Garmin users can shed any clarification on this, do share! I couldn't tell if I got what I needed half the time...there were a lot of things like 'communicator plugin' and drivers etc. that were not mentioned in the user guide.

Once I got it all figured out on the computer (sort of), I hit the road, and as is typical for my outside runs, it was still tough compared to the treadmill. I took two 45 second walk breaks in 30 minutes. Breathing is an ISSUE for me outside. It was cool checking my heart rate and stuff, which averaged around 155 or so for the duration - I did get up to 162 (my max heart rate is 179). My pace was averaging something crazy like 17 minute miles, so I think I need to calibrate the foot pod. On the treadmill I was manually calculating somewhere around 12:30 - 14:00 miles. Not that it really matters right now, but it's a good gage to measure improvement.

I don't have any fun little charts or maps to display from my Garmin today - why? Because after I pressed 'Stop' at the end of the run, I didn't know I had to 'press and hold the lap/reset button to save your workout'. UGH, here I was at the computer almost 1/2 hour trying to figure out why my data wasn't transferring and here my History was 'empty'. Live and learn I guess! Now I know, right?

So my goal for the next 4 weeks is to run outside as much as possible, and try to improve the distance I cover in 30 minutes. My first 5K is on October 25th. I was going to do one on the 19th, but then I found this 'Great Pumpkin' type race along Lake Erie that seemed more fun, and it's a charity race for a couple of local organizations that I'm familiar with.

I got some gift cards for my birthday so had fun shopping at Target last night for some running clothes. I am not ready to brave running 'tights' yet ha ha, and opted for a little 'loser' fit running capri for fall running. Also got a fitness ball to use for my strength training - need to work the core a bit more!

Now I'm off to blow up the ball, which I hope will be be a little more simplistic then getting the Garmin up and running!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

13 comments:

Zoomy said...

Yay!!! BIG congrats on your "graduation!" It only gets better. And you are gonna LOVE the Garmin. You got the 305, right? I have had mine almost a year and it is definitely my very favorite tool, next to runningahead.com. It really helps me to make my easy runs truly easy and to make pace adjustments on the fly.

I have mine set to give me my average lap pace for every mile, as well as chirp whenever I complete a mile. It's like having a little cheerleader on my wrist.

:)

Have you figured out how to set different fields and have more than one screen to toggle through? Those are really useful functions, as well. I personally like having elapsed time at the top, then on the bottom have lap pace and distance. Then I'll have another screen that includes time of day.

:D

Anonymous said...

My cyber twin I've missed you the last few days. :-)

I am deeply sorry that Chris missed the homecoming dance and seems to be semi unstable again. I will keep him and your family in my prayers.

Dealing with other people's grief is hard, you're right you know how you react but it's hard to gauge how they will. The most important thing is that you're there for your husband...and we're here for you.

CONGRATS ON YOUR GRADUATION!! You look fantastic and clearly you're feeling really good as you sooo should. Too bad I will be back in NY by the time you do your pumpkin run...next year we'll race together in Ohio or Michigan.

BeachRunner said...

Congrats from a fellow C25k alumnus. Keep applying the same approach to your future runs as you add mileage gradually. Well done.

Nicole said...

Congrats on Graduating! If you dont mind me asking (i'm prolly a running idiot for not knowing) but what is C25K? Im interested on this program you speak of! I can tell it has done amazing work for you! It sounds as if you love your garmin. The one i have isnt as high tech as yours. Yours sounds MUCH cooler than mine, prolly smaller too! Keep up the great work!

Your husband and son are in my prayers.

Cyndi said...

Thanks for the kudos everyone! One of the most positive aspects of all of this so far is all of the interesting and supportive people I meet through blogging! It's just a very cool opportunity, not only to chat with and support others with the same interests, but to learn about where they live - all over the world, it's just been a great plus to all of this.

Nicole ! Bad blogger me...I meant to link C25K (Couch to 5K), so here is the weblink:

http://coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

With that said, you are probably further along that a 'Couch Potato', and can probably pick up the program at a few weeks in to the plan. Also, here is the link to the One Hour Running plan I am starting next. (If you can run 30 minutes straight now, you could start with this)

http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm

(scroll WAY down that page to find it)

It's nice to have some guidance, especially as a new runner! I'm good with plans - just tell me what and when and I just 'do it'.

:-)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!

you may have met interesting and supportive people and YOU ARE THAT PERSON for so many.

thank you for your amazing comment yesterday at MizFit.

SuperDave said...

Garmin is a great gift for a new graduate. I'm thinking I may ask Santa Claus for a garmin for christmas... :)
Congrats!!!

K @ Running Through Life said...

Congrats on getting a Garmin and a big Huge CONGRATS for being a C25K grad!!!! What a great accomplishment!!!

RooBabs said...

Congrats Graduate!! You are going to do great on your 5k, and it's definitely good to get that "outside" running experience. I am so proud of all that you've accomplished. You are such an inspiration!

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with Chris and about your family friend. It can be very uncomfortable to be with other people who are grieving more than you (I am one who "absorbs" the emotions of others, so it's hard to be "the strong one").

That's so crazy about the debit card issue. Things like that drive me crazy!! Luckily it worked out- and you have a fun new toy to figure out.

Anonymous said...

Cyndi: Congratulations on the graduation, and a Happy (Belated) Birthday! Glad that you are enjoying the new toy. I am sorry for the loss of your friend and hope that Chris is on the mend again soon.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the info on C25K thats pretty cool! Im checking out the pages right now

Anonymous said...

Cyndi, I finally made it here from the RA boards. Congrats on graduating! I'm on week 5 of C25K. About seeing results, I can see the changes in your photos. I'm seeing changes in myself, too. Isn't it amazing? It's been such a challenge, but it's SO possible.

Keep your chin up through this tough week. I hope you can get the Garmin working the way you want it to, also. See you around the boards!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss. That is so tough to handle and I am the same way. Any death really shakes me. I know I should get used to it, or be more 'oh that's part of life' but it still really takes a toll!

The Garmin I have, you don't have to reset, you simply plug in the garmin to the computer and it calls up all of your old workouts. you DO have to reset so it doesn't add it to the last workout, but you can have alot of runs on there that you don't put into the computer, stored on the garmin, and when you do plug in it will upload all of them.

I love it! It's really a fun gadget but it can be a lot to learn. I keep forgetting to change between bike and run, now that I do both and use it for both. Have fun and congrats on the program!!