
Happy Birthday to me! I usually don't make a big fuss over my birthday. I'm not generally in to being the center of attention, not one for big blow out celebrations, and typically do a lot of 'quiet reflection' over the past year.
This year is a little different. No big blow out party planned or anything like that, but I am celebrating LOUDLY on the inside! My boss joked today and said 'this is when your candles start going out'. My response to that was, 'honey, the way I see it, my candles are just getting LIT!'
I got up early for my 30 minute run today - on the treadmill. It was great - Tuesday's run is history. One of my favorite songs to run to is Keith Urban's 'Somebody Like You'. The opening verse says it all:
'There's a new wind blowin like I've never known, I'm breathing deeper than I've never known. And it sure feels good, to finally feel the way I do...."
During the run this morning I was thinking about some of my thoughts early in the C25K program, and made a note to read back on some of my 'first running' posts. Some of this stuff is great:
"Did I mention I am so NOT a runner? I have never run in my life. I have never been an athlete."
"It is so easy for me to say 'I can't do this' when I think about training for a 5K. Am I nuts? I have said I am NOT a runner...this is new, scary territory for me. I have been thinking about doing this for over a YEAR and fear of failing has kept me from taking the leap to just try it and see what happens."
"I'm happy to say I got through the first workout and (obviously) lived to tell about it! It was the perfect starting level for me, not too easy (lord no!), but just challenging enough"
"Well, I got through the first week of C25K! I couldn't be more pleased with myself! As I was falling asleep last night, I couldn't help but reflect on how much I accomplished by just 24 minutes of running."
"I started Week 2 C25K today, which increases the running intervals to 90 seconds, with a 2 minute recovery walk. (love that ha!) Of course this was the first thing on my mind when I opened my eyes this morning...'will I be able to do this'?"
"I felt a little fatigued today. Interesting how my days off from running are a bit of a downer!"
"I knew there would be days like this, so the important thing is that I did not quit"
"Next weeks' workouts have three minute runs....again I have the nagging doubts that I can seriously DO that..."
"I feel closer to a 'real' runner now that I can swing more than a 90 second jog!" (*snicker*)
"The best part of finishing Week 4 is that on the last 5 minute run, I just kept going, and ended up finishing up with an 8 minute interval!"
"It was only Thursday that I did the 8 minute runs with the 3 minute walk in between - I found it difficult to comprehend how I could possibly do 20 minutes straight! "But I did it!"
"Someday I will look back on this post and smile I'm sure...because I know I will only get better as time goes on!"
Yes, it is a great day for me. I am happy that I've come as far as I have in just 9 weeks. This is the first birthday in a long time that I truly look forward to good things in the next year of my life - and beyond!
For now, I am looking forward to hangin with my fam this evening and a fun weekend ahead with friends and family. There is truly much to be grateful for and I plan to celebrate!
Cheers All!


10 comments:
Happy birthday!! Great post. Way to go. You certainly have a lot to celebrate about. Enjoy your weekend.
Nice work, girl! And happy birthday! I'm totally with you on running giving us a new start. I got mine 2.5 years ago and haven't looked back.
:D
Happy Birthday! I hope you have an AMAZING year! It seems you have come quite far and you should be proud of yourself! Awesome job!
Happy Birthday, Runner Girl!
Thanks for sharing your reflections. You've come so far, and I'm sure you'll go much much farther in the year to come.
I loved the inner answer..."Honey, my candles are just getting lit!"
Run on, baby!
-aloha
Happy Birthday, Cyndi!! What a great attitude to have, and how nice that you can reflect on how far you've come, and look forward to all the good things to come. What a positive and uplifting post- I love it! (and I may just steal that idea when my b-day comes up in Nov)
Oh, and I loved your response to your boss- you go girl! Now that's the 'tude to have. :~)
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY BEAUTIFUL RUNNING FRIEND!!!!
You have so much to be proud of. Look how far you've come since you started this journey. I am soooo proud of you and so happy to be right here with you.
May this be your best, strongest and happiest year yet.
HUGS from NY!!
I ADORE THAT SENTENCE ABOUT TRULY BEING THE FIRST YOU LOOK FORWARD.
I know it's a little trite but it is, in a sense, your REbirthday huh?
happy belated.
Happy Birthday!!! Great job on all of your accomplishments!!! Look how far you have come! And you ARE a real runner!
Isn't it great to feel young again? Rebirth?
I feel younger at 38 than I did when I was 28. I know you do too.
Happy Belated! 25 years old.. Wow!! hehe ;)
Post a Comment