Friday, March 20, 2009

5AM Warrior

I have to leave my house each morning by 7:30 at the latest, in order to get downtown and at my desk by 8:30. Because I had a lot going on this week on the homefront, I've had to be a 5AM Warrior for both my runs. Technically, it's 4:30 when my alarm goes off, and by the time I have a cup of coffee, get my running clothes on, put in my contacts, munch on some Kashi cereal, reset my stupid Garmin just so I can use the HRM, check my Blackberry for fascinating Facebook updates - it is 5:15 before I get on the 'mill. Incidentally, it was just 27 degrees this morning with a windchill of like 17, so first day of Spring or no, I just could not run outside this morning!

This morning I ran for 45 minutes straight at 75% of my MHR. Pretty sweet! My Friday runs have been consistently great, as I'm coming off a complete rest day on Thursday.

Wednesday evening I worked out at the gym, and have added in some more upper body stuff - mainly shoulders, lats and dumbell rows for the back. I am up to a 50 second plank now ( a very wobbly final 10 seconds ha ha), and I leg press 95#. (2 sets of 15) I am getting stronger, even though I have a long way to go! And it feels great!

Major DOMS for me yesterday starting around 3:00pm. It's funny, muscle soreness always sets in EXACTLY 18 - 20 hours after my workout!

This weekend, my long run is 7 miles. Woot! I am excited! I have not planned my route yet. I would like to get down to the Metroparks but am nervous about going alone. My brother in law is an FBI agent, and he is in town this weekend, so tonight I will ask him where or how I go about getting some mace. I believe our Metroparks area is generally safe...I can only recall one or two 'incidents' in the last 20 years really....but it's different for us women running 'alone'. If it's a nice day, it will be pretty populated down there but I would not go early in the morning like I do around the neighborhood.

After this week is finished, I will have 8 weeks of training left before the 1/2! Yikes...I get a little panicky when I think about it! Some days I feel confident about being 'ready' for 13.1 and other days, not so much! 8 weeks doesn't seem like a long time, but realistically in terms of training, a lot of progress can be made in 8 weeks time. Especially at my level...think about 9 weeks of C25K and how at the beginning, I could barely run 1 minute intervals, and by the end of 9 weeks, I could run 30 minutes straight. So I'm hoping, COUNTING ON, a lot of progress over the next 8 weeks!

Have a great weekend, running on....


4 comments:

Nicole said...

Awesome workout this morning! Good Luck with your 7miler tomorrow!

Its amazing to see your progression over the past year. You've come a long way and you have A LOT to be proud of!!

Your awesome :)

Lisa said...

Nice progress you are making. I haven't registered for a HM yet and I find myself wavering in my confidence like you mentioned. Good luck with the rest of your training!

RunnerMom said...

I enjoyed reading about what running has done for you. We have much in common.

I remember the panic when I was at about 7 miles... 13 sounded like so far. But it's amazing that adding a mile or so a week--the body just adapts. You are going to have a great half-marathon!

SuperDave said...

Wednesday's post made compete sense to me. :)
There is no way that I would get up at 5 am to run and do all you do before work -UHH,UHH NO WAY!
I underestimated a women running in the dark by themselves. You need to be prepared. Do you run with your phone? I hope you do!

I read you facebook- you ran 7 miles!!!! WooHoo!!