Monday, March 23, 2009

Seven on a Sunday

I checked off another milestone on my journey yesterday, as I successfully completed a seven mile run! I say successfully because I attempted this before and, let's just say it didn't go so well 'back then' (which led to changing my training plan).
Yesterday though, I pulled it out and it was a great run! It was also my first 'Valley Run' - FINALLY! I've talked before about our Cleveland Metroparks system and what a great place it would be for a run. So I finally headed down there yesterday and it was awesome. I snapped some pics during my walk breaks, and I couldn't help but think how cool it will be to watch the season unfold week by week. Everything is still 'brown' yet, but I know soon, the green will appear. The main sign of spring yesterday was a lot of fishermen, and a fairly busy golf course!
In fact, there were a lot of people on the path which was nice to see. I had some 'alone' time, but inevitably around the bend would be another family walking along. And of course, quite a few runners (passing me by ha ha).
Not only was this seven miles, it was also a challenging seven miles, because this is the first time really that I have had to deal with 'hills'. But I managed ok...I was able to run most of them on the way out, but I walked them coming back (because I was feeling it in my knees by that point).

The last mile was definitely tough, because I was feeling it in my legs by that point so I definitely did not feel like I could run any more when I finished - so I think it's a good thing that I have a 'recovery' weekend coming up with a 5K run. This morning, I definitely can feel the bod 'rebuilding and repairing' ha ha!

Here are my splits (with 30 second to 1 minute walk breaks as neeed)
Mile 1 12.49
Mile 2 13.31
Mile 3 12.43
Mile 4 14.35 (ate some graham crackers and walked a bit at the half way point)
Mile 5 13.07
Mile 6 12.52
Mile 7 13.31
Average Pace 13.19

This morning, when I first awoke, I felt like I had been hit by a train ha ha...but once I got up and moving, I feel pretty good! Mostly my soreness is in my hips/lower back, and for whatever reason, my left foot (bunion) started acting up on me during the run yesterday, and so I'm feeling that today. Otherwise, I feel awesome!

Here are some of my cell phone shots, and suffice it to say, I think all of my long runs will be in the valley from here on out!

Going Up!


Cheering section!



Cool house on the hill


Main road up near where I live...now you can see why we call this 'The Valley"


Swamp




One more quick note, take a click over to Running Through Life for a GREAT giveaway! I have recently added this blog to my Reader so I'd like to share the love!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

What an awesome place to run!

Great job!!!!! WOOHOO!

Aron said...

love the pics!!! great job on the 7 miler!!

Eric said...

Great job on completing the 7 miles. But damn girl....you picked one of the biggest hills on the path to run.

But those hills are what makes you stronger.

Game On.

Nicole said...

I love the pics... what a pretty run! Awesome job on the 7miler! Your quite the runner :)