Tuesday evening I did a strength training/XT workout at the gym because I didn't quite feel like my legs were back after my 7 mile run Sunday. So last night was my first run since Sunday, and it was great! I'm glad I gave my legs one extra day to recover. (I can't say enough about rest and recovery as a key component of adaptation and strength building) I decided to do a sort of tempo run, basically, I ran 'faster' for a longer period, and kept my heart rate mostly in the anaerobic range instead of the aerobic range. When I needed to, I slowed down to recover for 30 seconds to one minute here and there, but after a 15 minute warmup - the remaining 30-35 minutes was done at a faster than 'normal' speed for me. I was pleased with the result and the best part is that I wasn't totally 'spent' after the 50 minute run:
Mile 1: 13:19
Mile 2: 12:35
Mile 3 12:08
Mile 4 11:34
Avg pace: 12:24 Fastest Pace: 10:13 Avg Heart Rate: 153 Max Heart Rate: 166 (woo!)
For one day next week, I will try some intervals and then alternate between tempo runs and intervals every other week. Nothing too crazy, but my feeling is in order to run faster, I need to run faster some times!
So in all of my reading about speedwork this week, I came across the McMillan pace calulator. I punched in my last 5K time (34 minutes) and it gave me all the pace ranges I need for various types of workouts, and also gives me an indicator of how I may do in the half marathon. I will say that based on what I have been running, this calculator has me pretty close to what I'm already running in my workouts.
For example, the recommended long run pace for me is 13:13 - 14:13, and my last long run was run at 13:43. Steady state runs should be between 12:04 - 12:25. I've been doing about 12:18 average pace for the steady runs.
The recommended TEMPO pace is 11:34 - 12:04, and although my average pace last night was 12:24, my max speeds within each mile ranged from 10:13 - 11:49. So I was pretty close to a tempo type run, and most every time I glanced at my watch, I was running around 11:15 - 11:45.
All of this to say, I am reassured that I AM working it hard enough and from what I've been reading, if I keep it up, I WILL see the benefit - basically let science do it's thing while I do my thing. I will continue to trust the process!
Run On ~


5 comments:
Cyndi, you've got a great blog going.
I'd be glad to discuss with you how to introduce some speed work to your running.
I'll put some thoughts together and get back to you.
Tom
Awesome job Cyn! Your rockin it! Enjoy your speed workouts next week!
Happy running~
you are a running MACHINE now, Woman.
Seriously.
I cant decide if its SOMEDAY for me or if Im destined to be a plodding sporadic runner :)
Nice Job Cyndi! I love the lounge. Great place for everything running.
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I hope that I too can run a half marathon one day.
Post a Comment