Sunday, March 29, 2009

Taking the Good with the Bad...

The good news....this week in my training plan was a 'drop back' week - and I love how these easy weeks are inserted at just the right time! The bad news is....I only ran twice this week. I skipped my run (5K) today *gasp*! I think I have only 'skipped' a run once since I started training for this race in January. So I am a little disappointed, but ok for the most part.

The good news: I ran my two runs this past week at a significantly faster pace. My run on Friday was awesome - even though I had an upset stomach, I managed to run basically the same run as Tuesday, and my heart rate was lower this time. I kept a steady pace for 4 miles. What's great about Friday's run is that even though I felt a little ill, I still ran and didn't even think about NOT running. Not so great about Friday's run was the SKUNK smell around just about every corner. *ick* I was already feeling nauseous, and then I was gagging skunk fumes to boot. Tis' the season I guess!

Saturday would have been a cross training day. I started spring cleaning my house - so I was on my feet, up and down stairs, reaching, scrubbing moving furniture etc. for about 8 hours straight. THEN I went walking around a mall with my daughter for 2 hours. So needless to say, I did not need to get to the gym - I had plenty of cross training and then some.

Yesterday while working around the house, I noticed some soreness in my hamstrings, and even my quads - even though I was moving around, my legs felt sore and tight. I kept bending and stretching my lower back and legs every once in awhile. This morning I was STILL sore, probably due to being on my feet all day the day before without sitting down AT.ALL.

The run for today (drop back week remember) was to be a 5K. We had so much going on though....volleyball game, Alison's Confirmation, a nice dinner out afterwards....(Cheesecake Factory oh my GAWD). I could have snuck in a quick 3.1 early this morning, but I still felt TIRED. As much as I wanted to get the run done, I really felt this tiredness in the legs and my ITB is getting moody on me too. So more periodic stretching...but no run.

I feel a little guilty for missing this one run, as 'small' as it was, but at least I didn't miss an 8 miler, which is on deck for next weekend. I hope again that today's 'rest' will pay off by the time I run again on Tuesday.

So even though I only did 8 miles this week, it WAS a recovery week, and the 8 miles I did run represented a 'new' effort in terms of pace. That is apparent in my sore legs, which doesn't usually happen for me anymore - so I can tell my body is adapting to the larger efforts following my 7 mile run last Sunday.

Not only did I not run today, but I had glorious shrimp and chicken jambalaya at the Cheesecake Factory AND of course....a few bites of Grace's Oreo Cookie CHEESECAKE. Sinful but wonderful...ahhh, back on the wagon tomorrow!

I have 7 weeks of training runs left before the Half Marathon. *gulp*

Run On....


7 comments:

Nicole said...

If your sore and tired, skipping a run every once in a while is fine. Dont feel too bad about it. It seems like you were busy all weekend and were extra tired from your killer run friday! Even though you only ran 8 last week, it looks like you got in some good runs! Your improving wonderfully! I cant believe there are 7 weeks until your 1/2 marathon! Shoot! That means there is 4ish weeks until mine! *GULP* Have a good week and i'm SO jealous of Grace's oreo cookie cheesecake! YUM :) :)

Aron said...

sounds like it was a good call to skip the run... sometimes its definitely better to skip them and let our legs get rest. you are doing great!!!!

RunnerMom said...

Sounds like you were listening to your body! Skipping a short run on a drop down week is ok every now and then. I skipped 4 miles last week, too. :-)

Lisa said...

I think you were smart to skip your run. I skipped 9 days from my training plan due to my shin issue. Better to be safe than sorry. I like how you put a positive spin on things - you running at a faster pace. I'm trying to see the positive in my running accomplishments and not just what I wish I could do.

SuperDave said...

The lesser runs are sometimes called "junk miles." You still need them to advance in your training, but not as important.
With 7 weeks left, the long runs are the most important. I wouldn't miss those though even if you have to change a day around. Concentrate on those and you will do fine.
BTW, I loved the pics of your ceremony the other day!

MizFit said...

It will. I can only imagine youre waking up feeling far more fresh in the legs after your break!

have a great run!

Eric said...

Super Dave is right avoid the junk miles. I started my 6.5 mile loop Monday night and changed it to a 4 miler instead.

It sounds like you are progressing along just fine.