Here’s the story – this weekend I have a 9 miler scheduled. My last long run was TWO WEEKS ago when I did the 8 miler, and subsequently had to deal with my little foot issue. So I took it easy for the next week after that run. Here is what I have done in the last two weeks:
Saturday 4/4 – 8 miles
Tuesday 4/7 – Easy 30 minute run (60 minutes scheduled)
Thursday 4/9 – Cross Training – Bike/Strength
Saturday 4/11 – 3 mile treadmill : 400m repeats
Strength training
Wednesday 4/15 - 50 minute run@ 12:15 pace (60 minutes scheduled)
I am about 15 miles behind, including one 8 mile long run. (*gulp*)
So, as you can see, I am WAY down on the run time over the last two weeks. Not only because of my foot, but then I was a bit down and out with a touch of something going around my house. (fatigue, tummy ache) I now only have 3 long runs left before the half, and then the weekend before the race. (so total 4 weekends) How do I make the most of the remaining 3 long runs?
Option one: Long runs: 8 (this weekend), 9, 10 and then taper down on the last weekend before the race. (and taper to what? 5? 6? 7? My plan calls for 6 miles the weekend before but is that enough given that I’m behind?)
Option two: starting this weekend: 9, 10, 10, taper (should I do TWO 10 milers before the half or is that stupid?)
Option three: starting this weekend: 9, 9 and then do 10 on May 2nd, then taper down on May 9th ?
My two runs during the week for the next 4 weeks are
60 minutes (x2),
50 minutes (x2),
40 minutes (x2) and
30 minutes (x2, week before the race on the 17th)
Given that I am having such ‘aches and pains’ lately, should I take out speedwork altogether and just run? I am definitely going to stop leg pressing and squats, because at the moment that seems to be aggravating my leg/hip/butt in general. (of course where I need the most help ha ha)
The bottom line is that I want to make the most of the next 4 weeks, without escalating my current aches and pains, and without exhausting myself trying to ‘catch up’. I’m a little nervous and confidence is a bit low at the moment. I know 4 weeks is a ‘long’ time in running progress, especially for a newbie, but at the moment I’m feeling a little unsure about the best approach to take so that I end up with a happy rewarding race experience!
Feel free to offer advice or opinions – that’s the purpose of this post today!
Hope everyone has a great weather weekend and great races and/or long runs!


9 comments:
First off, look forward. Forget about the past. There is NO catch-up. We all hit bumps, mine was 3 weeks long. But there is NO catch-up mode. It is better to be under trained and feeling good at the start line instead of over trained and feeling like crap. Don't open yourself up to even worse injuries.
So looking forward, I like your option one best. 8 this weekend will remind your body what going long feels like without adding any stress. Do the 6 mile taper before the race weekend. You will need the time to rest and prepare for race day.
YOU ARE NOT BEHIND! You are well rested.
Your aches and pains could very well be from the speed work. If you are adding new things this close to the event you will feel it more. Weight training is usually for the off or pre season and then you maintain during season.
It's good that you are feeling the aches and pains. You are in tune with your body and what it is going through.
Think back to what your #1 goal is for this Half Mary. Finish? Cross the line? Don't worry about getting there faster right now. You can work on that later.
Remember....there is no catch-up. Keep moving forward. Look only back to remember how far you have come. Your base will help you get through it all. Nervous is normal, but don't let it shake your confidence. You will do this.
I'll be back to see what others have to say. Listen to what we say but make the right decision for you.
What great advice!! I'm not just saying that because of his name either, even though it is spelled wrong. :) j/k Eric
I totally agree though. Work forward and act like it didn't happen. Skip what you've missed and continue on your plan.
Finishing is the most important thing. Cross that line!
E
Ditto other commenters. Rest up, continue pressing on, and enjoy yourself!
I think you should go for the 8 miler this weekend and heck if it goes well- extend it.
8 then 9 then 10. They are the most important now. I think at this point it is better to do long than speed.
Then again Cyndi - better listen to the vets. (and not the noob *cough cough*)Concentrate on the fun factor!
I'm awful at this kinda stuff. I'm not even following a plan i'm just goin with the flow. I would attempt to run 8 this weekend and eventually get to 10.
From past experience, i would highly recommend running 10 atleast. Once you get to 10, the last 3 is in the bag :)
Keep us posted on what you do & GOOD LUCK!!!!!
definitely just keep looking ahead, things happen and you just have to move on, no making up miles. i say get out there for 8 this weekend, see how it goes and then assess for the rest of training. you will be good to go! good luck!!
Yeah...I'd agree with those who are advising to get some long runs in. The longest I tend to run in preparing for a 1/2 Mary is about 10 miles...
Speed work is brutal on the IT band, that's for sure. Why not skip a week and just run and see if that helps.
Four weeks is plenty of time...no worries!
Yeah...I'd agree with those who are advising to get some long runs in. The longest I tend to run in preparing for a 1/2 Mary is about 10 miles...
Speed work is brutal on the IT band, that's for sure. Why not skip a week and just run and see if that helps.
Four weeks is plenty of time...no worries!
Yeah...I'd agree with those who are advising to get some long runs in. The longest I tend to run in preparing for a 1/2 Mary is about 10 miles...
Speed work is brutal on the IT band, that's for sure. Why not skip a week and just run and see if that helps.
Four weeks is plenty of time...no worries!
Post a Comment