Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lesson Number One - Don't Go Out TOO FAST!

Thanks everyone for some great advice on my remaining 4 weeks of training! I am so grateful to have some experienced friends to call upon when I'm feeling a little lost on what to do! I decided to go for an 8 miler today, instead of 9. It's a good dayum thing, because I barely got through the 8! It's all good though - I know why I struggled and I'm still ok with the run in the end. That's the great thing about every run, I continue to learn while getting stronger - it's a beautiful thing.

I had to stick around suburbia today because the hub had to work, so I nixed my original plan to run down in the Valley just because I wanted to stay closer to home. The girls and I went to Dick's this morning for some things Alison needed for softball (sliding shorts and a leg guard). Of course, once I started looking around, I ended up with an armful of my own paraphenalia!

I finally got a water bottle, I went with a Nathan, single bottle pack. So today was my first run with something sloshing around behind me. Took awhile to get used to it, but it really didn't bother me once I was deep in to my running thoughts. I was happy to have it, especially since it was a balmy 70 degree, bright sunny day. I also stocked up on different flavors of Gu, and some Jelly Belly sport beans. I'm mostly just curious about these, I don't think I really need it all that much right now - I think the PowerAid at the marathon will be sufficient for me. I have to say that the Gu I took today did absolutely NOTHING for me - Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nu-THING. The last time I did the 8 miler, I did a PowerBar gel, and I definitely had a little zip in my step after that! Next weekend I plan to try the JellyBelly sport beans. I took the Gu today at mile 4. The 2nd half of my run was s-l-o-w going!

I ran to my BFF's house (4 miles) and surprised her. She was working in the yard and happy for the break. I needed a pit stop and a refresh of water. I hung there for 10 minutes, and slurped the Gu and went on my merry way. The first 4 miles were done in 42 minutes! 10.50 average pace. Holy Cow. That is speedy speedy for me! But that is NOT a long slow run pace, at all. That was more like a tempo run for me. *ugh*

THAT is why I struggled so much in the 2nd 4 miles. I wore myself out. I have to say, my legs felt GREAT though. My issue was with breathing. Yep, allergy season is underway. I had taken an allergy pill about 2 hours earlier, but obviously it hadn't kicked in yet. I wasn't wheezing, it just felt like it was more difficult, and of course it was warmer, and I started out too fast. (It was such a beautiful day and my tunes were awesome and I just got carried away!)

The reason my legs felt so great was because I tried a pair of Dr. Scholl's sport massagers in my shoes for this run. I think the pounding on the concrete really does a number on these old legs. So I wanted to try this today, figuring I could just pull them out if it didn't go well during the run. Well....it was AWESOME. My Brooks are cushion shoes, and the Asics I had were a stability shoe. Well the stability shoe was WAY to stable - they over-corrected my mild pronation. However, my Brooks are starting to show an ever-so-slight 'lean' when I look at them from behind. So I wanted to try just a small boost in the arch, more cushion than 'stability'. It was perfect - I felt like I was running on pillows.

So the full 8 miles took 1 hour and 40 minutes, for an average pace of 12:30. Not too shabby for me. My last 8 miler was at 13:15. I just tanked in the last probably 2.5 miles today - I probably walked more than I ran in the last 1.5 miles. I pushed it, believe me I was not goin' down if I didn't have to...but since I already knew my error, I gave myself some slack at the end. NEXT weekend I will be sure to slow it down, or I will not make it through 9 miles.

So it was fun, and I feel 'better' - that I can still RUN ha ha, even after my slacker self of the last 2 weeks.

Tomorrow I have strength training and may do a very easy 3 or 4 miles just to loosen up the legs, and a little bit of bike. Today's run was just my 2nd run of the week, so I feel good throwing in an easy recovery run tomorrow if I'm up to it. Monday is a rest day. And Tuesday is a 60 minute run.

The good news is - not a hint of tendonitis flaring up in my foot, at least not yet! The piriformis has subsided after I took some Advil yesterday and did some serious stretching.

Life is good, and I'm heading to bed with a good book and stupid tv! I'll probably be out in 10 minutes!

Cheers!

5 comments:

SuperDave said...

Isn't it great that we learn something new about each one of our runs. I have to say that you are becoming quite the runner. It's amazing how our bodies continually adapt. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to run a little harder in the beginning at least you now know what your body can handle and what it can't.
Question: I've been wanting to add gel support to my shoes. Are you taking out the insert or are you adding the new insert on top of the original insert that comes with the shoe?
Dick's sports store is an evil place that wants to steal my money away from me.
You still knocked off 45 seconds off your avg pace even for running hard- that's huge!

Cyndi said...

Hey Dave - Thanks for the props! ;-) Yesterday I did NOT remove the shoe insert first, and the shoes were a bit tight by the end of the run, and of course my left foot is a bit sore today. This morning I took out the insole and re-inserted the gel pads and have been wearing them around - MUCH better! When I compared the Brooks liner with the inserts - the inserts are MUCH more cushy.

Nicole said...

Sounds like a fun run Cyndi! Glad you didnt have any pain with it! I'm gonna pick some sport beans up this week so I can try them out before the 1/2 in two weeks! I'm getting excited!

RunnerMom said...

Sounds like a good run overall! I often go out too fast on long runs, too, and it does suck the life out of me by the end.

I'm sorry the GU didn't work. They sure work for me, but every runner is different.

Powerade is good, but if you are going to be out there 2+ hours, you might need a gel in the first half and a gel in the 2nd half. Just drink water with the gels and Powerade at the other water stops.

Aron said...

great job on the 8 miles!!! its something that can be hard to learn with not going out too fast, but its always a good lesson :) too bad the gu didnt work, i love them :)