Friday, April 3, 2009

This & That

First, a little 'show & tell" ~

In my web travels, I came across this article/blog about efficient running, and correcting common mechanical 'errors' in order to run a little faster. Specifically, the article talks about toe running (no heel striking!), slight leaning, and cadence. The recommended cadence is 88? Holy cow - my average is around 80, and that is only in the last 2 weeks. Prior to that, my average cadence was about 76.

Last night's run was a 'speed' workout. I headed up to the local high school track, and I was quite excited because this is where I started running last summer, and approaching the track yesterday, I felt like a completely different person. I don't even recognize the person I was last year, going to that track and getting through C25K! Crazy.

Well, my track workout was not to be, since the track was otherwise occupied by the 5th & 6th grade track team. My plan B was to head over to the rec (right behind the track) and workout on a treadmill. So I did a repeat workout. First, I did a warmup mile. Then I ran 4x400's @ 10:40 pace, with a 400 recovery jog in between each repeat. It was AWESOME! My form feels so much better when I run fast - I just wish I could sustain the pace! *sigh* someday.....

Today I rest, and tomorrow I will attempt my 8 miler. I normally run long on Sundays, but I have a birthday celebration with my BFF tomorrow evening, so I think it's best to git'er done tomorrow so I can let loose a little bit tomorrow night and enjoy an evening out without stressing over my long run on Sunday.

And finally, I will be hooking up with my trainer for another session next week and hopefully we will talk about some more formal speedwork, and mixing up the strength training a bit - looking forward to that!

That's all I got friends! Oh, feel free to join me on FaceBook , because you know...EVERYone is doing it now. But it's sometimes easier to keep up with everyone when I get busy! The downside is...I feel like my Blackberry is always connected to my hand!

Have a great weekend!


1 comments:

Aka Alice said...

Thanks for the article.

You'll be keeping that 10:40 pace over miles sooner than you know!