Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sidelined...dang it!

Well, this is just great. I have an actual injury that may require me to 'rest'. UGH! I am having issues with my left foot. It started after my 8 mile run Saturday. I don't recall any specific 'trauma' while running. I suspect it is related to my bunion flare up, resulting from my spring heels that I started wearing last week at work. Turns out, my feet have shrunk a bit since I wore them last year, because the shoes are loose on my feet now. Consequently, my foot sliding around in them caused my bunion to get aggravated. So during my 8 miler on Saturday, I think I may have unconsciously adjusted my left foot strike to compensate for my bunion issue. It wasn't until Sunday though when I started feeling this discomfort on the outside of my left foot, just in front of the heel.

Of course now I've been studying foot anatomy online (yep, I need to know all),
and I think I have inflammation of the peroneus brevis tendon. I ran last night, but instead of the scheduled 60 minute run, I only ran 30 minutes. DAMN. It wasn't really bothering me too much while running , but I did ice it afterwards. It was a shame I had to cut the run short too because I felt great and it was a nice run in the snow -which I always find peaceful. I just didn't want to risk making the issue worse, so I kept it short and sweet. Better than not at all I guess.

This just - well, it sucks. When I'm walking around in sneakers, I am very 'aware' of the soreness. In my work shoes today (boots with a 2" heel), it feels fine, probably because the weight is off that area. So...I sit at my desk today with my foot elevated, and trying to stay off it as much as possible. I'm supposed to cross train today but I have a meeting tonight so today is officially a rest day.

Tomorrow I meet with my trainer, and our plan was for her to see me run and talk about speedwork. But that's sort of up in the air now. She may be introducing me to a bike workout now instead, and more strength training. I'm supposed to do another 8 miler this weekend too. We shall see. If I do not run between now and then, hopefully I can get it done.

My foot doesn't seem to be swollen, and it's not 'pain' per se. It's just sore - a warning type of sore. I could probably run through it, but then suffer the next day. It does not hurt when I touch the area or press it. Just when I walk a certain way or for a certain period of time.

I plan to do rest, ice etc. and substitute the bike for my next run and if it's still causing me issues next week, I guess I'll have to get it checked out.

If anyone has had this issue before, do share! I had plantar fasciitis years ago, and it took forever to heal. I hear that a lot about foot injuries...so I'm a little concerned!

Thanks for listening to me whine - this is just not the best time for this to be happening! (is it ever though?)

8 comments:

Zoomy said...

Peroneal tendonitis SUCKS!!! I have had it a few times and the only thing that makes it go away/prevents it for me is wearing a shoe with a very flexible forefoot. Then I wear Superfeet insoles to give me the rearfoot stability I require.

I hope yours clears up soon. It's a miserable thing.

Aron said...

I have had a couple of foot problems in the passed, and once was from running weird and putting pressure on the outside of my foot, it almost like bruised it. I took a few days off and iced a lot and it was better pretty quick. I hope yours heals up soon!!! Ice a lot and hope the trainer has some good news for you too.

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

oh no!!! Sounds horrible! I haven't had any experience with that but will check back to see how it goes...

Nicole said...

Oh no cyn! So sorry to hear about your foot! All i can say is ICE ICE ICE. I listened to Aron's advice and just put my foot in a bucket of freezing water and ice. It hurts like hell for the first 3 minutes but then you go numb. It helped A LOT! Let me know if it keeps bugging you and i'll talk to some PT's at work and see if there are special exercises you can do! Hopefully it gets better soon!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ugh...I'm so sorry to read this! I have had plantar facitis before, and I agree that it is horrible. I haven't had your particular condition, but it sounds like it might be worth a visit to the foot doctor next week if you're not feeling better.

Hang in there...I'm sure your trainer will prescribe exercise to keep you semi-satiated while you heal ;-)

RunnerMom said...

I don't have any experience with that condition, but I do relate to self-diagnosing via the Internet!

I've had many aches and pains flare up and go away within 4 or 5 days, causing me to only miss one or two runs. I hope yours responds well to icing. Maybe the shoes should be looked at as the earlier poster said.

When I first started running and lost 15 lbs, I went down a shoe size, too. Weird!

RunnerMom said...

I read about your experiment with the PowerBar gel. Not my favorite. It think they are too thin or something. I love, love, love GU--just about any flavor, but plain, vanilla, and chocolate are very good. I actually enjoy them, and that hasn't happened with any other gel!

SuperDave said...

When you start saying big words that I don't even understand, you scare me Cyndi. You been drinking?
Rest , rest, rest...