I'm surprisingly 'ok' with this. For starters, it's Easter weekend obviously, so it will be challenging to get an 8 mile run in - I would have to do it tomorrow, and the foot is just not ready. Also, I don't want to get back to it by jumping into an 8 mile run. I don't want to risk making anything worse at this point in my training. So if I run on Tuesday, I will just keep it to a 40 minute run. Slowly working up to a long run next weekend.
Secondly, I mentioned a great workout with my trainer yesterday. She gave me a great bike workout, that, although I'm not burning the same calories - my heart definitely got a good pumpin', and my quads were burning....after just 10 minutes. *ugh* Oh, did I mention that WHILE I was spinning away, she had me do shoulder presses with an 8 pound medicine ball? NICE. So if I do a combo of bike/elliptical/stairs for cardio workouts, she said I won't lose any fitness - in fact, this could actually work to my benefit, which I will notice when I go for my long run NEXT weekend. Let's HOPE! By the time the foot heals, my legs will be nice and fresh! I am already feeling 'rested', despite a heavy duty workout yesterday.
In addition to the bike, my trainer added 10 new exercises to my strength routine which is really fun. Lot's more ab work, back and shoulders. I have graduated to my 'toes' on the Bosu Ball push ups (the disk, 1/2 ball), and my trainer gave me a glowing report on my strength gains over all in the 6 weeks since we last met.
I was a little dissapointed (but not surprised) that I was up a couple few pounds, and the fat monitor scale even popped up an INCREASE in BF percentage - but funny how we both immediately dismissed the scale readings when she took my measurements and reported a loss of 4.5 inches! Yay! As we worked out, she mentioned several times that she could definitely see that my body had 'moved' - especially in the arms, chest and core area. So that made me feel better.
She gave me some pointers for watching the calories which is mainly what I already know...journal the food and watch the portion sizes. The problem is not with WHAT I eat, it's how much. I feel hungry all the time and I've read that is is common to gain a few pounds while training for a big race. Boy, a few months ago, this would have sent me over the edge and now? I am more pleased with my fitness and strength gains, that I am not that concerned about the scale at all! The fluctuations over the last 8 months or so are enough to make one crazy...so I have learned to use the scale as yet another gage of progress, but not the end all be all - it does not represent the big picture.
Happy Easter, Happy Passover ~ I hope everyone has a great weekend with family and friends!


7 comments:
This is great hearing you talk about the balance you have with everything. Your attitude about not running and the small weight gain really shows that your mental image is rock solid.
It's good to look at the big picture....and yours is turning into a great self portrait.
Game On.
I'm so glad your foot is getting some rest. Your trainer sounds awesome and very helpful. It sounds like your legs and arms will be ready to race come May!!
Happy Easter and have a wonderful day!!! Its beautiful out!!!!
glad the foot is feeling better!!! have a great weekend and Easter!
One week off my foot did wonders for me...so hang in there. How awesome that you have a trainer to keep you going!
Have a Happy Easter!
I'm glad the foot's doing better.
Isn't it weird that you can actually gain weight bu running more? Ever since I upped my mileage for the half trainings, I am always hungry!
4+ inches!
my sister is a marathoner and has run a BUNCH.
she always laughs to me when her friends start training for one to lose weight as she thinks shes an anomaly in that she GAINS when she trains (ooh that rhymes!)
she grows soo much more hungry and just, well, EATS :)
Hi Cyndi....nice to meet you and thanks for checking out my blog. I haven't been on Runner's Lounge in ages-forgot all about it! It's nice to hear from fellow "beginners"! Keep up the great work and will be watching/reading! I can't wait to compare our first HM's!
Post a Comment