Monday, April 20, 2009

How fun was today?

I really enjoyed this day. I was a complete Geek about the Boston Marathon! How can you not get excited about another woman running for 26.2 miles at a 5 minute mile (or less) pace - non-stop, no 'walk breaks', ...just running, fast....very fast. Against Ethiopians and Kenyans with bionic legs no less. Wow...it just doesn't get any better!

Even more amazing is ....that I care about this! I think of me one year ago...I had no clue what the Boston Marathon was really, or at least, it's significance, nor did I care. I never knew there were actually 'elite' runners, that got paid $150,000 for coming in first place, and that they ran with almost SuperHuman speed. I had no idea the heart and soul, pain and agony that Elite runners experience both in training and on race day...and I almost CRIED when I saw that 'Kara' lost her lead. I found myself imagining how devasted she must feel after leading for 25 miles, and then losing it in the end. She still did awesome - but I know that she probably doesn't think that way, her best, today, was not good enough for her. I get that.

A year ago, I did not have a clue about any of this. Who was I then? I don't even recognize my 'self' of a year ago. What DID I like then anyway? What was I interested in, passionate about - what did I have for my SELF that made me feel excited and energized? (Besides the obvious, kids, husband, nice job...but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm sure you all 'get' what I'm saying)

Even my cousin pinged me on Facebook today and teased me about my enthusiasm. And I was just smiling all day. It was so fun to be excited about the race, to surf blogs looking for other's commentary, and finding updates on other bloggers who were running in Boston today. I was VERY unproductive at work for about 2 hours this morning. I don't care...it was totally worth it.

Even little me, a 40-something mom, wife, average Joe lady attempting to be an athlete - even little me, had fun being part of something much bigger today.

Run on friends~


10 comments:

KK @ Running Through Life said...

It is amazing how much we can change in a year! Good luck in all of your trainig!

Kelly said...

How amazing, indeed! I think it is AWESOME that you were so excited...I found it sad that my web homepage (Yahoo) didn't even mention it...not even under the sports icon....so the elite runners in the US NEED people like you to be excited for them...woohoo! Go Cyndi!

Nicole said...

How awesome Cyn! I'm so proud of you and how you have progressed over the past year! Look at your very first post, and you will be inspired i just know it! You really are truly amazing :)

Eric said...

Oh yeah...you're hooked. So happy that you are having fun with your new found passion.

Anonymous said...

I had fun following the marathon today through "the Internets" and was totally inspired. You've had an amazing year...only good things to come!

SuperDave said...

Party on Garth! me too

Diana said...

one year ago I was training hard for my first triathlon....two years ago, I don't want to remember what crap I was "into"!
I love being excited about my new loves of being fit. I love how I've met so many fellow average joe athletes through cyper ways! We in our 40's though are a "special" breed!
Nice post!

Running mommy said...

What a lovely post! It really is great to be part of the world of runners. It's a lovely world!

And thanks so much for your great tips! I even liked the bottle belt!

Aron said...

Boston was soooo exciting!!!

Kathy said...

Doesn't it give you chills? It makes you know everything is possible. I feel it could be me. I even cry during these races lol (not just when I'm running them but when Kara is too lol!!)