I finally got to transfer my Garmin data last night, based upon learning (previous post edit) that there is a gliche in the website at the moment, so I used the alternative 'Garmin Training Center' software. Technology continues to impress me, as a page opens up with all this great data that I really did not see ANYwhere on my watch after my run! Here are the official stats for yesterday's run:
Time 30:00
2.43 miles
Avg Pace 12:21
Calories 256
Avg Heart Rate 142 (This falls in 'Zone 3' - best for optimal aerobic conditioning and fat burning)
Max Heart Rate 157 (Zone 4 - develops improved anaerobic capacity and improved speed)
All of this of course is also viewed in a slick graph on the site, which was cool also - everything appears to be 'nice and steady' in terms of my pace and effort. My pace is still a bit slow, but definitely improved over where I started. I am also happy to know that the numbers match pretty much dead on with my treadmill, and looks like I don't have to manually calibrate the watch after all thank goodness, because I would probably mess that up!
The data was also laid out by how much time I spent in each Heart Rate 'Zone' and this is where I learned the most already. The 'ideal' Zone for what I am trying to accomplish (fat burn and aerobic conditioning) would be Zone 3. I only spent 9:20 in this Zone, and I spent a total of 17:00 in Zone 4! Holy Cow...this reinforces my suspicion that I probably run harder than I need to. However, it's been working for me so far, I have not hurt myself and I'm pleased with my progress. It's just nice to know I can ease up a little and still be doing great work. I just need to balance the workout a bit more...I don't NEED to spend more than 1/2 my run in Zone 4 at this stage of the game. If I want to get a somewhat decent first 5K time, I DO need to work in Zone 4 a little bit though. Right now, based on my pace today, I'm looking at about a 36 minute 5K.
Here is my dilemma - I have NOT run 3.1 miles yet, nor have I run more than 30 minutes. My One Hour Running plan calls for 30 minute runs only for the next 3 weeks. My 5K is on October 25th. I am considering a 'long run' for this weekend, 3.1 miles - just to see where I'm at. This is more than a 10% increase over 30 minutes, and more than 10% of 2.43 miles. So I'm a little hesitant, but at the same time, curious to see where I'm at for the 5K. Any thoughts on this???? My feeling is that it's better to do it this week or maybe next weekend, rather than do it right before the 5K.
My Weigh-In this morning is a huge success! The scale moved again and I am down 2 pounds! At 151, I am only 4 pounds away from a 'healthy BMI'. (whatever) Journaling my food really helped and I am going to continue this for a bit. Unfortunately, another pound down, and my points allotment goes down to 20 points per day, but on my running days, I will eat my AP's. (I usually never eat the AP's - I dig in to the flex points)
This post is all about numbers, stats, and data...but it's fun. I love my Garmin now! It will make it so much 'easier' to hit the road and get off the treadmill!
Happy Wednesday all ~
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Im glad your garmin is fixed! I didnt know it had so many neat tools. Now i want to get mine out and play with it again. Your making me want to update! HAHA. Keep up the good work.
your just over a half a mile away from 3.1 miles if your feeling good and you take it slow i dont see why you couldnt give it a shot. do your normal 30 minutes and then go a lil longer to see how things go. If you start to get bothered, then stop. :) Great job cyndi!
Hey! You are pretty close to your goal!! If it were me I would increase one more week at 10% which would put you at 2.6 or so and then your next 10% would be really close to 3 miles (2.8ish). If you can do 2.8 beforehand you will be fine for the race. In some training programs you don't go the full distance before the race.
I generally don't increase much more than 10% until I get up into the double digit mileage, especially close to a race just in case of overuse injury (shin splints, heel pain, knee pain, etc). Chances are it would be ok but if you injure yourself this close you might not make the starting line!
I can't wait for your 5K! Is it your first?
I agree with Kathy. It is better to be safe and follow the 10% rule to reduce the chances of injury and pain.
You are really doing great. You will be up to 5k distance in no time and then (and only then) you can gradually focus on improving your pace.
CONGRATS on the 2 pound loss...that's HUGE and you're tiny :-)
So glad that everything is working out with the Garmin, what a relief for you. Plus getting all of that information is really helpful for you. I cannot wait to get one.
You will be fine for the 5K. A lot of people never actually run 26.2 before they do a marathon or 13.1 before the half. If you can do 2.43 you can do 3.1 trust me.
I cannot wait to hear all about your first 5K how exciting!!!
Wow, so much great progress, Cyndi!
You look so good in the latest pic - firm and can definitely see your waist. I'm so impressed with your 30 minute runs. Listen to the experienced folks about increasing - you don't want to injure yourself at this point. Patience, grasshopper.
Post a Comment