Thursday, January 29, 2009

How Running Changed My Life


"Every runner knows this, and marvels at it, and finds it hard to wholly describe: Running will change your life. In big ways and small, for a moment, for the rest of your days. These forty-three true stories capture the power of running to change and shape our existence, to elevate us, to inspire and strengthen us in all our pursuits. They are stories to ignite the runner's soul. They are motivational, inspirational, and instructive - making a fascinating book for dewy beginners and grizzled veterans alike."


This is the excerpt that made me buy this book - my latest addition to my fast growing stash of runner's porn. :-) LOVE.IT!

I brought up running 'addiction' in a recent post, and I continue to be fascinated by this subject. For me personally, I am perpetually amazed and dumbfounded that I, ME, am a runner. I always say that running has been the biggest, most pleasant surprise of my life. I can't believe that I have stuck with it as long as I have, and I have no inclination to stop. Even on the days of my worst runs, it never occurs to me that this will sort of slowly fizzle out for me. No matter how difficult, or impossible a day's run can be, quitting is NEVER an option, and I keep going back for more.

I often say if more people knew how good running makes you feel...physically, spiritually, mentally....pharmaceutical companies would lose millions of dollars in revenue every year. Psychotherapists would be sitting at their desks, tapping their fingers, waiting for patients to show up...or perhaps even taking a little lie down on their own therapy couch. Becoming a runner is like discovering this magic pill, anti-aging, anti-depressant, addictive behavior nixing, fountain of youth and joy.

I have a friend who is one month in to the C25K program. She sometimes complains, it's 'hard', she's so 'out of shape', I don't have time (she's a new mom), but YET....she keeps getting on that treadmill and toughing it out. Her emails to me always ultimately end with 'but I feel great, I've lost x pounds, it's getting easier'. Hmmm....what IS it about running?

What makes running so different from say....an aerobics class, a spinning class, or golfing? Even weight training, or pilates or yoga. No one is going to argue that exercise of any kind is good for you on many levels...but, you can't fill a book with 43 inspirational stories of how 'JAZZERCISE changed my life'. Non-exercisers don't pass by golfers on a golf course and say, 'Look at those crazy people, why would anyone want to subject themselves to THAT?' Am I right?

I used to be one of those 'non-exercisers' who would see someone running in the rain, or in other less than ideal conditions, and would think, 'I don't get it' or 'duh-go to a gym'. I would see the local news coverage of the Cleveland Marathon and think, 'how is this worthy of coverage? they are running and miserable - how NOT fun is that?'

Yes, the phenom that is running fills books upon books upon books. Books such as 'The Runner's High', "First Marathons - Personal Encounters With the 26.2 Monster", and of course the one I am reading now, 'How Running Changed My Life'. True stories of the POWER of running. The POWER? How is it that you don't hear your friend refer to their kickboxing class as 'powerful and life changing'? Yes, kickboxing makes you strong, confident etc., but it just doesn't evoke 'power' to me in the same all encompassing sense that the simple act of running does.

'How Running Changed My Life' has not disappointed thus far. Every personal essay is different - we all begin running for different reasons, so all the stories are different, and yet, in every story there is some element that I relate to on a personal level. No, I was not diagnosed with lung cancer at age 29 after smoking 2 packs a day. But I certainly understand the need to reclaim my health and 'run' from the harmful things we all do to our body without even thinking about it. I never went for a run with my dad because my mom said 'oh go for a run with your father and spend some time with him, you might enjoy it'. (no athletes in my family whatsoever). But I certainly hear my youngest daughter when she wants to go to Target to buy some UnderArmour so she can go run with me. I can relate to the restlessness that strikes suddenly when things are feeling a little stressed in the house and I just want to GO.Run, and I do, and I come home relaxed, energized yet calm.

I just find it all fascinating...to me it's like this great mystery. I am addicted to running....I find myself needing to run more in order to get the same 'high'. Just like any other drug. (not that I would know). I get cranky and moody if I have to change my schedule and delay a run. I schedule my life around my runs whenever humanly possible. I can say for sure that this NEVER happened with any other workout regime I've had throughout my adult life. (Must. Do. More. Jazzercise...uhm, not so much....) What started out as a 'quick way to lose weight' evolved into 'screw my scale, the weight will be gone eventually'. What started out as a 9 week committment to a program to jump start some fitness, and the perhaps casually continue to run whenever I wanted to, became me training for a half marathon.

I don't know what it is about running, really...I wish I had an intellectual explanation...but as the book says, we are 'wholly unable to describe it'.
I will continue to marvel about this, and of course, I will keep running.....



5 comments:

BeachRunner said...

I lurve my running. Amen sistah!

Nicole said...

Running is dah BOMB! I should check this book out! I hope your staying safe with all this freakin snow! Spring is just around the corner *HOPEFULLY*!
Have a good weekend!

Zoomy said...

I think I'm gonna have to find this book.

This quote of yours struck me:
"What started out as a 'quick way to lose weight' evolved into 'screw my scale, the weight will be gone eventually'. What started out as a 9 week committment to a program to jump start some fitness, and the perhaps casually continue to run whenever I wanted to, became me training for a half marathon."

It is almost word-for-word my experience...though nearly 3 years later I am now training for marathon #2 and still lugging my extra 15-20#s around. Now I want to lose them so that I can be faster...not so much to just look better. The health couldn't otherwise be better, thanks to running.

SuperDave said...

I love your post Cyndi!
I couldn't have said this any better. Running is everything to me now. I got excited when I run and depressed if I don't.
I use to think why are those crazy people running in the rain. Yesterday it was freezing cold and windy and I saw a runner out there braving the weather. I just love it!
I don't see it leaving either one of us..
:)

RooBabs said...

The book sounds great- glad you're enjoying it.

I think your description of running at the beginning is spot on! The jab at pharmaceuticals and psychotherapists was funny, too.

It is interesting that running can make you feel so different from other types of exercise. For me, part of it is that you can measure your progress more easily, but other than that, I'm not sure why you only get "runner's high" from running.

I'm glad that it has been such a great experience for you (as it has been for me, too). It's one addiction that I'm not about to seek treatment for, LOL.