Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ITB Stretches and Info

I have given up on trying to scan pictures from my 'Running Well' book, however, I will share the information that I found online, which is very similar to what is in the book.

This site has great information about ITBS and the stretch and strength exercises are exactly what is in the 'Running Well' book.

This is a good site as well, the 'Wall Squat' exercise is noted in the 'Running Well' book.

And finally, this is good info to know too.

I only share this because, first I never realized that weak hip adductors can contribute to IBS (because lord knows it's not my 'high mileage'), and also, it is not enough to simply stretch, strengthening the core, glutes, quads can stabilize the ITB and prevent injury in the first place.

I'm lucky enough to not have pain yet, but I have a 'twinge' that has been a mystery to me for awhile until I read more about ITBS - so for me it's a nice little 'warning' to be proactive and prevent the injury from developing if I can!

Hope this helps anyone with ITB issues!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bits of infomation.

BTW LOVING A Race Like No Other...good pick.

Anonymous said...

I just posted about ITBS earlier this week too, after suffering from a bad episode during Disney marathon (i ended up walking/running the last 6 and had to take some time off). The foam roller is FANTASTIC! Go buy one and USE IT DAILY! I have been using it twice a day for the last few weeks and my recovery time was pretty quick. I've also been icing and doing some stretching (I have a few photos in my post)> I Hope that you are able to conquer this quickly. I hear it can stick around for a while if not treated right away.

RooBabs said...

Thanks for the links! I've also heard that having weak hamstrings and glutes can contribute to the problem (definitely an issue for me), as well as having other physiological issues (I just recently found out most of my siblings have one leg that is longer than the other, which is something I've recently suspected- who knew?)

And Kathy's advice about the foam roller sounds pretty good, too. A couple weeks before my race, I almost bought one online, but I just ended up buying another strap, which has definitely helped. I may still get a foam roller, though.

BeachRunner said...

Hope you are feeling good. To stay loose and pain free I have two words: Foam Roller.

Or another two words: The Stick.