Yesterday I had my first run of the new year and I got to run outside. The sun was shining so I figured it was a good time to take in some vitamin D and try out my new Mizuno headband and my new gloves. It was 34 degrees and pretty breezy, but I was perfectly layered and never cold. I had two miles on the schedule at my snail's pace of 14:38. Well, as usual - running outside is a lot different than the trusty 'mill.
I could NOT run that slow out on the street! I kept it steady at 13:38 which still felt extremely slow - I kept drifting down to a 12:00 pace. But my heart rate was just perfect at around 138 so it was all good. I felt like I could run another two miles - it was too 'easy' and I felt like I was just getting started really, but I stuck to the plan. It was nice to be outside and I even passed a couple of other runners and it's funny how in passing we all knew EXACTLY what the other was thinking - how sweet it was to have a run outside in January.
Tomorrow is my 'long' run which is 3 miles, and I'll be building about 1 mile per week as time goes on.
Today I am going to do a 'Jillian' workout to start getting back in to a strength training routine. I've decided to alternate some Jillian with my other total body 'Fitness' cd, just to keep things interesting for my muscles. I'll be throwing in some machines too when I get up to the rec center as well. The Jillian plan is great, but I am not in a rush to kill myself for some 'amazing results' in 30 days. By the way, the rec of course was PACKED yesterday - not one parking spot available. So we are going to wait for the New Year's rush to die down a bit around the middle of the month before we start going.
And finally, last night we had yet another family gathering to spend time with relatives in from Hawaii. We haven't seen them in over a year. Mike off-handedly mentioned to his cousin something about his 'runner wife' and she perked up immediately and told me that she was thinking I looked so 'fit and healthy'. That was awesome - she did not say 'have you lost weight' or 'you look so skinny'....she said I look 'FIT'. How cool is that? The ultimate compliment!
Mike's cousin had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and has lost over 100 pounds. She has done a couple of triathalons and 5K's and 1/2 marathons since then, so we had much to talk about. Most of Mike's family has been been generally non-committal about my running...I get the obligatory 'oh that's great good for you' but they do not 'get' it on a deeper level. (Keep in mind this is about the 3rd time I've lost weight over the years so to them it's just 'Cyndi's dieting again') But Mike's cousin DOES get it so it was great to talk to her about it.
Now I'm off to plan my meals for the coming week and get my grocery list in order! And, it's only Saturday...I LOVE it!


4 comments:
Great job homie. Awesome on the compliment, and well deserved!! Good luck with the Jillian training. Just dont push that too hard (and dont forget the rest days).
As far as running outside and keeping the slow pace goes, try running with shorter/faster strides to try to maintain your goal pace. It is reallllly hard to run slow.
fit is the best compliment! congrats!
Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com
happy long run day, oh FIT FRIEND.
may it be enjoyable (is that an oxymoron? it still is for me but less and less so each time I do it) and go *quickly*
MizFit
What an amazing compliment! You deserve it girl! Great job with the running too!
Post a Comment