Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rihanna is my hero (?)

All I can say is, if it weren't for Rihanna on my daughter's iPod, I would NOT have made it through mile 6 of my long run tonight! I had gone through my playlist (country all the way, LUV it) and then had to try to find something familiar in Alison's list...that was a challenge. Rihanna was the only 'artist' I recognized (sad but true), so I cranked up some 'Please Don't Stop The Music' and got hypnotized by 'ma ma say ma ma saw ma maw ku sa', and the thumping, steady beat.

This run almost did not happen...Friday night was my big night out on the town. We were out until midnight, and it was a great time. (lots of 'oh my GAWD, you look so GREAT!' type comments that are embarrassing but fun) I have to say that I am pretty much a 'lightweight' these days - so any time I have a couple of beers I am reminded unfortunately that my tolerance is not what it used to be. Needless to say, Saturday I felt like cr*p. But I believe I had a little bug on top of my slight hangover...I was still feeling sick this morning after being awake much of the night with a queezy stomach, a hacky cough, achey muscles and a dull headache. As the day went on today I felt better, but I pretty much had written off the long run, which really weighed on me all day. Somehow I got a burst of motivation this evening and figured I'd do what I could do, and the next thing I knew, I was not stopping until I clocked these 6 miles! I feel so much better that I did it. I did not have much of an appetite yesterday or today, so I was concerned that I wasn't fueled properly either, but I did ok.

Including 7 minutes of intermittent walk breaks, it took me 84 minutes. Average pace 14:04. Nice and slow, painfully slow but I did it.

So what can I say, we find our motivation and gumption to keep going in the strangest ways sometimes. Today it was Rihanna...go figure! Now we'll have to see how I feel tomorrow ~ because my legs are reallllly tired after this run.

I can not wait to get back outside for runs - these long runs on the treadmill are less than ideal!

I am a commenter slacker this week too, but thanks to my Blackberry I am at least reading blogs through Google (every chance I get ha ha). So I hope to catch up with everyone tomorrow in the comments!

Have a great week ~

8 comments:

Aka Alice said...

I think your daughter and mine have the same playlist :-).

Good for you for getting out there and conquering 6 miles on the dreadmill no less, that's impressive!

SuperDave said...

You go Cyndi!!!!!!
A 6 miler, you just ran a 6 miler!
If you are afraid to jump from 6 to 7 then you can modify it a bit and try 6-6.5 then to 7. I've always thought that a mile was a big jump. Or better yet, jump to a 6.2 miler and make it an even 10K.
Little Cyndi(figuratively and now physically) has come along way.
I'm so proud of you sister!

Nicole said...

i totally need to make a running playlist becuase listening to rascal flatts slow songs TOTALLY does not carry me through long runs! I ran 6 tonight too!! YAY :) Way to stick through it girlie

Bek said...

YAY!
Way to go!
I'm struggling to get back up to 5km for the tri but your stories are inspiring me. Running is such a mind game. Its all about telling yourself that you're going to do it and then...doing it!
You're a star!

Anonymous said...

Six miles, that's fantastic! You must have felt so great afterwards! I always tape some new songs before longer runs and then just when I'm feeling down I put them on and it helps. I can't believe you are doing them on the treadmill, that's awesome! I have a tough time running on the TM-luckily we don't get ice or snow here. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, Cyndi, you ran SIX miles! Amazing.

I used to think it sounded silly, but switching the play list is SO important. A physical therapist friend recently told me to work out to '80s rock music...even though I didn't even listen to it then. You know, Van Halen, STYX, whatever. It works! Don't know why...maybe it takes the mind off of the actual run?

You ROCK (pun intended)!

Anonymous said...

can you send me your daughter? I have the ipod but need someone to get me some playlists going.

thanks so much ;)

RooBabs said...

Great job on the 6-miler!! It's amazing what a difference new/upbeat music can make. I bought a couple new songs right before my half-marathon, and it was worth the 99 cents for each of them.