Friday, January 16, 2009

More Butt/glute/Hammie talk....

TGIF! Three day weekend! Yesss.....

It has been a crazy week - with the big ARCTIC BLAST that blew in, came a migraine for my Gracie (Tuesday), and poor Chris went down for the count with some pretty strong seizure activity beginning Wednesday, and finally ending yesterday evening. All is quiet now...but it hasn't been the most stellar week in the life as they say!

Therefore, last night's run for me was a 'stress relief' run. I almost put it off to today mainly because my butt/glutes/hammies were, and still are, SORE from my Fitness DVD workout on Wednesday. I was actually fine until about 2:00 yesterday when I stood up from my desk and could barely walk! So I did a light 2 mile run/walk last night, instead of the scheduled 3 miles. Boy my legs were tired. Note to self: no lunges the day before a run! I am still sore today...even my core...but it feels good .

I have two days to rest now though as I prep for my first 5 mile long run on Sunday. Holy Cow! I hope I can pull it off! My plan is to do a 2 minute walk break between each mile, at least the first 2 anyway, and take each mile nice and slow.

Some of you have asked for me to post the ITB stretches, so I am trying to figure out how to scan these pages to something like Google Docs to share on my sidebar. I will be playing with that over the weekend, since my work protocols don't allow internet access to 'file sharing' sites. (whatever)

After my big breakup with the scale on Wednesday, I wanted to say that the scale is TRYING to woo me back, because it gave up 2 pounds for me today, at the MOST unlikely time no less! Hmmmm.....stay tuned!

Have a great weekend all and good luck to those who have a race this weekend!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyndi, just wanted to say that I am impressed with your progress.

Bek said...

Hey Cyndi,

Maybe you could try something I think works though it sounds crazy. I always try to go for a 10 minute run straight after Pump, I heard about "active recovery" ages ago and always find I'm less sore if I do cardio before (warm up) and after (active recovery) my strength work. Worth a go?

Yay for the change on the scales too..even though we're not really watching ;-)

BeachRunner said...

Great job. Rest up for the 5 miler.

jessica said...

rest is key when going into a long run. Let your muscles rebuild and you'll do fine for five miles. Breaking it up into smaller pieces really helps me - I run 5 minutes and walk 1 - it seems like I can always make it just a few more minutes before I get to walk. Most of all, listen to yourself and know that you can do it. We're all rooting for you - I need to get an update up, but here is your sneak peak - I'm already signed up for two marathons this year and I have a million more 'penciled' in... And I finished one on New Years Day - so one is already under my belt. Good luck on your run and rest until then, it will make it a lot easier! Run Run Run. show that scale who's boss!

Aka Alice said...

Looking forward to the ITB stretches. I am completely in need of those right now.

You're going to rock those 5 miles this weekend!

SuperDave said...

2 lbs!! The scale is bribing you, don't listen!!

Nicole said...

This artic blast is killing me. It took me two hours to drive home from somewhere that normally takes 1! AHHH i can not WAIT for spring to get here... nothing like white knuckles while driving!

RooBabs said...

You are brave for attempting 5 miles the week after 4 miles. In the beginning, I only increased my long runs by 1/2 mile until I made it to 6 miles. But you can totally do it (and probably already did, since I'm still trying to catch up, ha ha).

I also did lunges once the day before a run- yep, lesson learned. Ouch!

And great job on the loss. That crazy scale!