I am all too aware that this represents the over-achiever, perfectionist side of me - I have to get past the idea that this journey should be 'perfect' and smooth all the time. There will be good days and bad, logically I know this, but yet I continue to be WAY too hard on myself when things aren't going the way I expect them too...not just with running and weight loss, but in all areas of my life. I get so caught up in the moment, I sometimes forget what I really have accomplished in a relatively short time. The Big Picture that I always preach about here gets a little blurry for me sometimes, but as long as I can get things back in focus and perspective, that is what is most important!
And so, in moving on... I did manage to do my 'long run' of 35 minutes yesterday on the treadmill. It turned out to be a most excellent run, and I was SO relieved afterwards - 'ok', I thought, 'this is still good...whew'.
I found out from chatting with someone Friday night, that you should NOT calibrate the Garmin to a treadmill. I was advised to go up to the track and do it. So today I will head up there and see how it matches up with my pace for 800 meters. At the same time, I will be squeezing in a third, however easy, run to finish out my week - since I ran 'long' yesterday, I plan to do the 1/2 mile for the calibration, then walk/run for about 1/2 hour. I've never run two days in a row but I will just feel 'better' knowing I did three workouts this week.
In an effort to get myself re-focused, I have set some goals for this month, and I am putting this promise to myself down here, for all my Bloggy Peeps to hold me to. I PROMISE that when I review my goals at the end of the month, I will NOT beat myself up for anything I did not accomplish! Here are my five goals for November:
1) Be more consistent with cross training on non-run days. (I have been chained to my desk at work and not putting a priority on getting out for my lunch time walks)
2) Strength train 3 days a week, and that will ALWAYS include the ABS. (I have not done sit ups in two weeks and can already tell) Strength training includes a sort of 'secret' goal for push ups. (ugh)
3) Include more vegetables in my diet. I am great with fruit, but veges? Not so much! Therefore, two fruits servings, three veges a day, every day. NO EXCEPTIONS.
4) By meeting the first three goals, I hope this translates to a goal weight of 140 by the end of the month. That's seven pounds. I think that's do-able!
5) Since this is the month of giving thanks, I promise to end each blog entry with a thankful thought.
This is all easy stuff, right? Anyone care to join me with some November goals?
Finally, here is my Thankful Thought for today:
I am thankful for the beautiful fall day we are blessed with here today! Clear blue skies, bright sun, mild temperature, and beautiful colors. Speaking of beautiful colors....this is a tree that I planted in memory of my brother Ron, who was known to all as 'Red' for his red hair. This is the first fall since I planted it in '04 that it has turned this beautiful color. Isn't it awesome?


9 comments:
Don't feel cheated about not having a "post race high". After my lace race was when I started having all the leg pain, and then my knee pain came back. With all that you have going on, don't worry about it. You're doing great!
I love your goals- I struggle with the veggies thing, too. Not that I don't like them, it just seems like a hassle to get that many a day.
And your thankful thought is so cool. That red tree is beautiful, and what a cool memorium. = )
Your red tree is so gorgeous, it's your brother smiling down on you. He's proud of you Cyn, just like I am.
Don't get down on yourself for not having the post race "high" last longer. You were on cloud 9 Saturday and then things started to get a bit hectic for you. It does not mean that you're minimizing how great you were on Saturday. You did your first 5K and you were smiling when you finished. There is something to be said for that.
Your goals are a wonderful idea. If you just add a pre dinner salad you'll get all your veggies in or a bowl of soup.
I am here for you...always. I am thankful that I found Tales from the 'Broken' Scale.
Dont let the race get you down. You did AWESOME. I know the 'calender' feeling. . . sometimes that contributes to my running attitude so your not alone.
I love that your doing a 'thankful' thought at the end of each post. Cute idea! :)
Great goals. And I know you will work hard to achieve them. That red tree is beautiful. What a special and lovely way to remember your brother. Bravo.
Cyndi: What a perfect tree to remember Red by! You have such an amazing attitude and approach...I know that November is going to be a great month for you!
I've said this before..You are the most positive person I have ever met. I think that it is great that you look for the good in all things. :)But it is okay to be bitchy everyone once in a while.. hehe
Beautiful RED Japanese Maple. A Beautiful tribute!
The tree is a beautiful way to remember your brother.
You have already found your mojo by making a list of goals. I find that after I finish a race I have a bit of time (sometimes even a month) of cranky-ness or lost-in-the-dark feelings, signing up for another race usually gets me out of the funk, it gives me something to train for and gets me excited.
You are doing great, I am thankful to be able to read your blog and be inspired!
Keep up the good work runner girl!
late to the soiree...and distracted by the amazing picture.
I totally believe that it's RED smiling at you.
that he's with you.
and I adore your new thankful thoughts.
Miz.
Hey Cyndi,
What a beautiful tree and such a lovely tribute to your brother.
I will join you with some November goals.
1) Drink more water! I don't know why I find it so hard, I actually love drinking water. So I am aiming for 3L a day!
2) At every turn try to look after my soul. I am heading off to see a counsellor and I will try and make the most of precious moments with my family!
3) Try and get in some exercise 5 times a week. I know it is good for me in so many ways, not least of which is it clears my mind and puts a little bounce in my step.
That's it!
Lets make Mojo November and get our funk back!
Post a Comment