Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Impatience is NOT a virtue

Well, my 'menu' issues yesterday were really nothing compared to Chris having a bad morning right before leaving for school, and Grace being struck with a migraine (stomach) after arriving to school. However, Chris, in his usual Super Trooper style, powered on through his day, and even went to work in the afternoon at the nursing home (vocational program through school). My boy continues to amaze me with his tenacity and 'grace under pressure'. Grace ended up being picked up at school by grandma and slept off the migraine and she was 'all better' by the time Mike got home from work. I knew hers was coming...her behavior was a little 'off' on Sunday, and when she got up yesterday morning, she commented that her left eye was 'burning'. These are 'pre-symptoms' of her episodes.

In the meantime, Alison is plodding her way through SIX 250 word essays that she has to write for the six scholarships she is applying for for St. Joes Academy. Her English teacher is helping her with these which I think is awesome, AND, Alison told me yesterday that her teacher invited her to particpate in a 'WebCam' interview with an author on Friday with the Honor's English class. She is thrilled.....

So those are my kiddo updates in simplest form, lol.

The other day I mentioned that I am going to weigh in just every other week...as part of my 'don't get hung up on the scale' effort. Well....let's be real here....I don't think I can do that yet! So, I have decided to still weigh in weekly, BUT, hubby is going to REMOVE the scale after I do my weekly weight check. So I will not be weighing myself EVERY DAY. Baby steps, after all. It is those day to day fluctuations that frustrate me sometimes, so if I don't see a number every day, I have no number to think about. You don't just STOP these things, you reduce the behavior gradually so you can adjust easily to the change.

Which brings me to my other random mention for today ...Feelin all 'great' and 'empowered' with my bad self, I thought maybe I could just stop taking my 10mg Lexapro...I ran out a couple days ago and decided not to refill it. DUMB MOVE. Of course, I've read all over the place and know from experience, you don't just STOP taking this type of medication. So after two days, I went and re-filled it! It's not that I became immediately depressed or anxious, I knew I was having side effects from immediately stopping the drug. I was starting to feel a little 'testy' and 'nellied' and 'wierd'. Needless to say, I will be contacting my doc to get a taper down schedule to get off the drug the PROPER way. Which the smart-me knew in the first place, but the impatient me said, who needs rules? :-)

You may all be starting to think that I'm an impatient sort of person...I want to immediately be a super star runner, immediately be a svelte size 6, immediately stop my prescription medication... I think this is simply human nature, but the important piece is that I am able to check myself and re-adjust my thinking. More evidence of 'new Cyndi' ....the 'old me' would have translated my feelings of impatience to 'failure' following up then with a big ole' bag of M&M's.

Now THIS is progress.... show me a scale that measure THAT!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your kids! Hopefully something great will happen and they will all magically get better. I like to live in a fantasy world where things like that happen :)

Thats really lame about the fitness magazine, there were a TON at target so i also bought one for my friend... Strange!

BeachRunner said...

Good luck with the kiddos and yay on the continued success for the "new" you. Keep up the great work.

RooBabs said...

I am impatient as well. I live in an instant-gratification world, LOL!

Sorry about the kids. I hope they are doing better. That's great about Alison- I can't believe she has to write so many essays. I think I only had to write 3 for college applications!

About tapering off your medication- definitely get your doctor involved. I've had a few bad experiences in the past, even though I was tapering. Glad you're feeling good enough to take that step, though. That is definitely progress!!

Bek said...

You are so in touch with all your non scale progress i think its okay to keep that little ol' machine around if it doesn't make you its slave.

You are doing a really good job and I think you know that!

Doctors orders that you definitely come of your meds slowly and safely...the feelings you were having weren't depression or anxiety but drug withdrawal...so easily avoided! Hopefully you've already booked an appointment!

Take care
Bek

Anonymous said...

First I want to talk about your amazing kids. Chris is a rock star and you should be proud. I know he had a stay at home bad day yesterday but on Monday he rallied and went to school. What a man!! Grace tried to go to school with her impending migraine...good for her. Alison what a smart kid. She really took control of what she wanted to do for her future...hello I am 36 and I have NO idea what my future holds. She's in my thoughts that her entrance exams and scholarships all come back with positive results.

Now on to you my BBF. We are so similar as I too want instant gratification. Patience does not come easily to most people. It's funny we all know that in the real world we did not gain weight, start to need meds(I too have been there) and notice our arms wave good-bye twice over night. These things took time to come into focus for us...so why do we expect them to change over night? Because we're doing everything we can to change them and for that we need to be rewarded RIGHT NOW.

You are doing an amazing job with your changing lifestyle. You take care of yourself by running, eating right and trying new workouts. Getting off of the Lexipro shows that your new lifestyle is helping you to feel better and more balanced, that's awesome!! Putting the scale away in baby steps is helping you to refocus on what is really important: how you feel.

I am so proud of you and I am proud to call you my friend. You have made amazing changes to your life and clearly you are fantastic role model for you children. Keep it up!

SuperDave said...

Sry late again, Cyndi.
If I may?
Lexapro works by increasing and regulating serotonin(Good feel drug) in the brain. Exercise will increase and regulate serotonin also, but maybe not as much as Lexapro does.
Obviously talk to your Dr. - he/she knows you best.
Suggestion if you are trying to wean off Lexapro- 10 mg is the lowest doseage right now, but you can try to take 1 pill every other day for a week then increase that to one every 3rd day and so forth. If at any point you feel nervous continue at what works for you.
It's great that you are trying to get off of the med, but do not feel bad in any way for not being able to. You have alot on your plate and will continue to have, so its oaky!
:)