Sunday, November 23, 2008

I'd like to order some MoJo please, hold the incense....

Today has been sort of a 'lazy' day at the homestead. The kids & I went to Mass for Alison's Confirmation enrollment, bright and early at 9am. We don't normally do church that early, so that was quite a 'treat' (not) for us lazy Sunday morning types! But of course, going to mass is sort like exercise - it's hard to get going, but you feel good afterwards.

Well I certainly struggled with getting the exercise in today, that's for sure. I had a 45 minute run on the schedule. For starters, my whole running mojo has been messed up all week. I was supposed to do my 2nd run (36 mins) yesterday morning before I left for Toledo. My well-meaning hubby turned the alarm off, thinking that it was still on for 'work week' time, but I had actually set it to get up and run. Needless to say, I over slept, so I didn't have time to run. I should add that over-sleeping just doesn't happen for me...I pretty much wake up on my own around 5am every day. I don't always get UP at that time, but I am awake. So I must have needed some extra Z's. So even though I missed the 36 minute run, I figured today I would go ahead and attempt the 45 minutes anyway, worst case, I would do the 36 today and just skip the long run for this week.

As soon as I started running (treadmill), I knew this was not going to go well! My heart rate basically just shot right up within a couple of minutes to 144! What the heck? I was still just warming up! So I had to walk, and when my heart rate got to about 138, I started to run again. That's pretty much the way it went for 30 minutes. Run/walk/Run/Walk. As soon as I hit 30 minutes, I stopped. I have seen Jeff Galloway's training methods, and he is a strong advocate for walk breaks in the long run, to keep the heart rate in the lower aerobic zone. So I feel like I did the right approach here, given the circumstances with my heart rate going a little nutso today. I wasn't feelin' it today, legs were heavy, I was tired and I don't think I was very well fueled for a 45 minute run either.

I've been a little 'wheezy' today too...I'm pretty sure it's the smokey incense stuff (no idea what it's called and I should know....bad Catholic) that they, uh...blessed us with this morning, and of course since we had to sit up front, we were basically directly inhaling the stuff and the girls and I were gagging as discreetly as possible (as was the rest of the congregation in the front of the church!). My eyes have been itchy too all day, again I think from the incense. So all of this, combined with other factors just added up to a bad run day for the books!

I'm going to repeat last week's schedule this week, because I don't feel like I was really 'ready' to do 45 minutes anyway, bad day or not. I'm good with this! Which is huge for me, because I've been a little impatient lately with my running progress (or seeming lack of), so for me to say it's ok, and give myself a 'do-over'? Now that's pretty impressive if I may say so myself!

I hope everyone has a great week ahead!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

I love lazy sundays, they are the best. I had a LAZY LAZY weekend and it was awesome!!! Have a good week!

Kristy said...

Yeppers, it's not about meeting some external schedule..it's about training your body to be efficient and give you those moments of Yee hah!

Not that there's anything wrong with having a training schedule, you just have to be flexible enough to listen to your body. Glad you did that. You know you WILL progress, just maybe not as fast as you'd like. You HAVE BEEN, and ARE progressing. Be happy, run like the wind.

Bek said...

Hey Cyndi,

Great pic of you and Shosh!
I think you had the perfect approach to a hard day...you kept moving, you didn't throw in the towel. It took me a while after my first encounter with running to remember that walking (especially with your HR high) burns calories too and is a really good idea! I was a little anti walking for a while, saw it as a failure, but have come back to a much more balanced view! It beats nothing!

I hope your allergies clear up soon!

happy days
Bek

BeachRunner said...

Good job getting through the workout. I am really sensitive to incense and smoke too.

Anonymous said...

Good thing that you did not gag in the front of the church...that might be frowned upon :-)

Don't beat yourself up about the run. You have a "do over" this week. Do what you're comfortable with and don't push yourself too hard. You want this to be something that you love and enjoy doing.

Set a goal, like Nashville in April for instance and then you'll be working towards something ;-)

SuperDave said...

Good on starting the week over again. No need to push yourself.
I think for the rest of winter, I am going with slow and steady. Instead of speed, speed, speed. We'll see?

RooBabs said...

I'm all for the run/walk pattern. It gives you the short break that your body needs to get the turbo to kick in once again. And 30 minutes is waaaay better than nothing, so don't feel bad about that AT ALL!