Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday Meanderings...

As I write this, I am cooling down from a good morning walk and feeling great that I got the exercise done for the day! With Thursday being my third and final C25K workout, I still had Friday and today left for my exercise week. Yesterday I just did a moderate walk downtown at lunch hour to the bookstore to pick up a Weight Watchers cookbook. I was on my feet moving about 40 minutes total.

Last night I met a friend for a couple of beers (ok three, I confess!) to catch up on some girl talk - she recently had a baby and is on maternity leave, so we had lots to dish about! I'm happy to say, NO bar food was consumed.,..I ate a mini snack before I left (whole wheat tortilla with low fat peanut butter and sliced banana).

This morning I was up early and decided to complete my exercise week with a 'long walk' - I've been reading that runners have a weekly 'long run' on the schedule, so I figured since I have completed the interval trainings for the week, why not throw in a distance workout. So I logged on to Map My Run and mapped out a two mile 'track' around my neighborhood. I did two miles in about 30 minutes, including a short warm up and cool down. I kept a very brisk pace all the way, was breathing hard and sweating by the time I got back. No running, just a very fast walk. I thought it would take me more like 45 minutes, so next week I think I'll make it three miles - that way I will get the feel of what 3 miles is as I prep for a 5K race! It was a good way to start the day! Early enough that not many people were out, just birds, locusts and the sound of my feet hitting the pavement. It was good to beat the heat and get it done.

I have not started any strength training or the dreaded abdominal workouts...but I am ok with getting the cardio workouts under my feet first. I bought a Shape magazine yesterday and there are some good ideas there. Venus Williams on the cover...she is in phenomenal shape! I am thinking about heading to Target later for a stability ball and maybe a DVD workout, so I have something structured to start off with. Any suggestions?
And now, I'm off to get my weekend chores done - which includes Back To School shopping - ICK. This is an annual job I would love to hand over to the Husband ha ha!













1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you closing out your week with a quick 2 miles. Keep it up and you'll be at the 5K mark in no time!

Have fun back to school shopping, I used to love going with my mom but I could get my dad to buy more HEHE.