Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Taking the good with the bad

Yesterday's workout (W2D2 of C25K), was by far the most challenging for me so far! There was a combination of little obstacles that just made it tougher to complete but all's well that ends well, and it did end well. I knew there would be days like this, so the important thing is that I did not quit.

First, I had the company of the varsity soccer team practicing in the center of the track. School is starting soon, so of course there will be more activity up there now. I just turned up my iPod and that took care of that distraction. Then, it was so muggy and I found myself having some breathing issues. I have some mild summertime allergies that, for whatever reason, hit me in my lungs and I develop some mild asthma-like symptoms. Well, with the humidity, the smell of the track (rubbery, tar-like, chemical stuff?) was really bothering me and I had a bit of a wheeze going. THEN my left knee was feeling kind of wierd off and on so that started to worry me....until I realized I somehow missed my quad stretches before the run, and that must explain the knee discomfort (I hope!). So my great groove I had found on Sunday went completely MIA yesterday!


But then something FUN....just as I was gearing up for the 6th and final 90 second interval, my daughter Alison (see left) and her 'possee' showed up. (13 year olds travel in packs you know) I know her BFF Ellen likes to run, so as I came around the bend, I pointed to Ellen and yelled 'YOU, 90 seconds, let's GO!'. She goes sprinting off in front of me, flip flops and all, obviously just leaving me in the dust ha ha...but interestingly, I somehow came up with some extra effort for this last run ha ha. She even stopped and ran in place like a goofball so I could half way catch up to her. Meanwhile, Alison is half-heartedly prancing beside me offering me sips of some iced decaf concoction and I'm like DYING saying 'water...just....get....me.....my.....water.....' Ha ha. Too fun. However, in spite of me looking like a sweating, huffing and puffing mom, Alison was not in the least bit embarrassed by me...so my struggle to look cool worked well, or, maybe working out rates high on the 'cool' list in general for 13 year olds? Who knows, but it was a fun moment and worth every ounce of pain.


The good stuff just keeps coming too, as I weighed in this morning and dropped another TWO POUNDS, yes! Goodbye to the 160's! Just for kicks, I pulled out the tape measure, although I know I should really only measure about once a month - I was just curious though. Well, I'm glad I did because I enjoyed another positive moment! I've lost 1/2" off my waist, and one full inch off my hips! My thighs however are measuring up a 1/2" but that's pretty much a no brainer. That will take care of itself over time as I continue to burn fat. I'll take the muscle - that is the point of all this after all!
So despite the challenging workout, I got a fun moment with my daughter and her friends and a great reward for hard work on the scale today! It just doesn't get any better than that! Or will it? I suspect it will!
Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAHHHOOOO what a great day you had! Sounds like you were able to power through whatever was ailing you with the help of the posse. They need to be your cheerleaders more often.

Congrats on the loss, inches and scale! Bask in that feeling especially when you feel your dedication waning.

Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news on the loss, Cyndi! You're still rocking. Maybe the people watching at the track will help the time go by faster ;-)

Michelle said...

WOO-HOO!! 2 pounds and a 1/2 inch is friggin' awesome!! You're doing great!