Monday, August 25, 2008

A Little Peek into My World

Obviously I never got to my mental meanderings post, I'm still working through some thoughts though and hope to share at some point. But consider this 'Part One'....I don't normally share a lot of details of my day to day life other than how it pertains to my journey to wellness and fitness...but sometimes these details are necessary to make a point I guess.

My son Chris (linked for any new visitors that don't know about Chris) had a *bad day* yesterday with a couple of seizures and generally seeming unwell. Because of Chris' communication deficits, it is very difficult to assess him medically - we rely heavily on his temperature and how he *looks* to us. We go down The List with him, 'what hurts?' Headache? Ears? Throat? Stomach ache? Bathroom problems? Most of the time Chris says he is 'Good, very good'. He has a high tolerance for discomfort, which makes assessment even more difficult at times.


Ever since Chris started this new seizure med almost two months ago (Keppra), I believe his immune system has gone in the tank! Since starting the drug, he has had: a bladder infection, a stomach virus, a mystery rash, a bad cold/sinus thing (that just cleared last week finally), and NOW, this whatever he has...seems to be a general viral illness for the moment. His neuro has 'never heard' of Keppra suppressing the immune system, but I am inclined to think otherwise. Chris does not get this sick - he has one or two typical illnesses in a year's time. It's great that the seizures are better controlled, but if he gets ill all the time, seizure activity increases, and it's a Catch 22 really.
And then my youngest daughter Grace fell off her bike Friday evening (which of course I did not witness) and off we went to the ER because she absolutely could not walk on her right leg. I was convinced she had done something to it. Let me just say - don't be fooled by the name 'Grace'. Her ER file rivals her father's - she is so NOT 'Grace-ful'. She looks like a 'Grace' (as her picture attests), she is sweet and kind and loving, but she is so NOT Grace-ful. She has broken her collarbone, smashed her fingers in a car door, jammed her jaw running into the back of a parked car, broken her wrist, and had a growth plate fracture. When Grace broke her wrist, and then her growth plate...on both occassions it was nearly a week after the incident when I realized, hmmm...something is not quite right here. And then of course you feel like a terrible mother when you find out something is actually BROKEN, and you waited all this time to see the doctor....so Grace falls off her bike Friday and I took her in right away this time. She had a 'sprained ankle'. By Saturday she was 'miraculously healed' - running around the neighborhood without so much as a limp. So basically I wasted my Friday evening at the ER. *sigh*

Add to all of this, my other daughter (13 going on 30) was 'moody' all weekend and needed some coddling, I had a Christening to attend, an anniversary party to attend, grocery shopping to do, laundry piled up, a dirty house to clean, prescriptions to fill....

My whole point to this rambling is that I somehow managed to get my C25K workout in, a long 3 mile walk in yesterday as I planned, and I started some upper body strength training and completed my ab workout. I have a Week 5 Day 1 C25K workout scheduled for this evening. Who is this woman???? Is this ME?

These day to day stressors can really do a lot to sabotage attempts at a healthy lifestyle. I've been thinking about how the 'old me' would have just puttered around the house aimlessly, worrying and hovering or trying to distract myself with snacking or smoking. Quite the contrary, at these times of increased 'stress', I find myself CRAVING physical activity, and I feel I am managing all the stressors quite calmly. Not one heart palp from this mom over all this craziness...just another day in the life! (and believe me when I say I have not shared absolutely everything on the 'stressor' list of the day!)

This is a HUGE checkmark in the 'Pros' column of a healthy lifestyle. Exercise really is a stress reducer, and I feel better equipped to handle all the 'schtuff' that comes my way. It's not just about physical strength, it's emotional strength, mental strength...sure, I would prefer NOT to have all this to deal with, especially not at one time, but knowing that I CAN handle it all is a sweet reward. It far outweighs the number on the scale, without a doubt!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyndi: Seriously, you are an inspiration to me to not blow off my exercise! I am busy, but not as busy as this, and I really admire you for sticking with it. I slept through the alarm this morning but WILL be fitting in my work out later today because of you ;-)

I am waiting for a call back from my neurologist client about something and will ask him about Keppra and immunity. I remember him telling us about several effects of Keppra; you may be on to something. I'll post back to you later.

Cyndi said...

Thanks Chris! Believe me, if I can stick to the exercise, ANYONE can. And I should add that I never DID get to everything on my list for the weekend...but the priorities got handled, and that included the exercise. Those words continue to surprise me every day!

Please do see what your client has to say about the Keppra issue. The side effect profile says 'frequent infections'. And I was not sure what that meant until possibly now?

Anonymous said...

Cyndi you get a big hug from NY...you stuck to what you needed to take care of you while taking care of your family needs. There is something to be said for that.

You left me a message about my relationship with my mom, I was 13 going on 30, we get through that and realize what is most important. One day you'll be blogging about your training partner ;-)

You're a great mom and you're dedicated to being around for a long time. Kudos to you!!

Anonymous said...

Cyndi: I'm still playing phone tag with him a day later, but I'm on it. Worse case, we have a meeting on Thursday, and I will ask him then.

I woke up early today with your post in mind ;-)

RooBabs said...

You did great- I'm so proud of you!! And the update picture is fantastic.

Way to go on the running and the ab workouts. Here is a big hug, and a pat on the back from me.

I'm so happy that you're using exercise as a stress reliever instead of food- it's a lesson we all could learn. = )