The most fascinating aspect of the C25K program is looking back to the earlier weeks and remembering the challenge of trying to run minute & 1/2 intervals, or the dreaded THREE MINUTE intervals ('how can I possibly do that???') or struggling to find a certain comfort zone with running form. I just completed Week 5 today with the required 'Twenty Minute Run' - I capitalize this because it was a huge thing for me. I've been thinking about it all week! I was looking forward to it and slightly nervous about it, but I've developed a certain faith in the program, and in myself, and I knew no matter how hard it would be, I would finish it without stopping. It was only Thursday that I did the 8 minute runs with the 3 minute walk in between - I found it difficult to comprehend how I could possibly do 20 minutes straight!
But I did it! I headed out to the track around 8:00 this morning. I figured that would be better than watching the clock on the treadmill! The plan says '20 minutes or 2 miles'. I did the first mile in 12 minutes, then I headed off the track to run the remaining 8 minutes through the surrounding neighborhood. By that time I was starting to feel challenged, and a change of scenery was the perfect distraction. It was awesome! Definitely the most challenging run so far, but I did it. Yes, I am slow, and will be for awhile. I will be running for time for awhile yet and that's ok. I paced myself at an easy level so I could be sure to last the full 20 minutes. I checked my heart rate right when I finished, and I was right at the perfect rate for sustained fat burning. Someday I will look back on this post and smile I'm sure...because I know I will only get better as time goes on. But this is just a huge milestone for me at this point of my journey! I have 4 weeks to go, and considering how far I've come in 5 weeks - I'm looking forward to what's to come!
After I got home, I discovered that the humidity outside was 92%!!! Yikes! Nothing like making my most challenging workout more so by running in the humidity! Oh well, I survived!
This week was a week of several 'NSV's'. It's always said it takes about 6 weeks to really start to see results of any exercise program. Well, that is very true! First, I pulled out my capri jeans because of some cooler weather earlier in the week, and it seems I have 'no butt' according to my dear husband. The jeans were quite large all around I must say, and that's a great feeling! Today, I am wearing a pair of shorts that at the beginning of this summer, I could not even squeeze into respectably. They fit perfect right now, and even a little baggy in the rear!
I'm starting to get some 'second looks' at work...now mind you, my co-workers watched me through a 50 pound weight loss on Weight Watchers about 3-4 years ago. So obviously they probably noticed the slow gain of 30 pounds too. I have not shared too much of my current program other than with two or three of my closest girl pals - one of whom just moved back to Florida and is a runner herself and has been a big cheerleader for me.
Then my neighbor and very good friend told me the other day that when she saw me last weekend she thought to herself, 'boy, Cyndi really looks.....healthy'. My husband says I look 'brighter' and more 'put together', and not 'frumpy'. (hmmm....I was frumpy? Grrrr....)
Thursday while sitting at my desk at work, on impulse, I checked my heart rate. I know I should do this in the morning before getting out of bed, but I was just curious. My heart rate in the middle of the day, sitting at my desk working intently, was 52! That's just amazing to me. I looked up some heart rate averages for women in my age group, and 52 fell into the average range for 'athletic women'. NICE! I believe over the years my 'resting' heart rate fell somewhere in the upper 60's to mid 70's. The last few times I have had my BP checked, I fell into the 'pre-hypertension' category. I plan to get that checked this weekend at the drugstore - I know those machines are not entirely accurate, but it will give me an idea of whether there has been any improvement - which I'm sure there has!
So all in all, despite all the chaos of a sick kids and school craziness, hectic workload etc., it has been a great week! (By the way, my son Chris is 100% better now and all his lab work was fine - thanks so much for the good cyber-thoughts while I stressed through all of that!)
This morning we went to the West Side Market and stocked up on fresh fruits and veges, good meats and sausages. YUM!
Tomorrow morning I will do a bike ride instead of a long walk, and then do my strength training. Sunday, it's on to Week 6!
Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!
Cheers!
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Congratulations. I remember how big a deal that 20 minute run was for me as well so I can totally celebrate with you!
Way to go!
Well done Cindi!
I also remember how awesome 20 minutes was, and also how little time it takes for 20 to turn into 30 etc.
YOu are going great guns! Well done.
THree cheers for Cindi...
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray!
Happy Days
Bek
Yeah Cyndi!
Way to go on the 20 minutes! And you've worked up to that in only 5 weeks. That's so inspiring. Glad to hear Chris is better too.
Aloha
-Kristy
Glad to know that you are feeling and seeing the hard work paying off, and thank God Chris is feeling better!
Congrats on the 20 minute run- you are awesome!! It always amaazes me to hear people on the C25K go from running 8 minutes and make the jump to 20. No matter how many times I read about it, I'm always a little nervous for people, and it always works out okay.
What a great program, and I'm glad it's working so well for you. And glad everything is okay with Chris. = )
Post a Comment