Saturday, December 27, 2008

Fitness Gifts

ON the running and fitness front....well, yesterday I finally got in a good 40 minute run! My last run was last Wednesday I think? I had to take a few 1 minute walk breaks every 5 minutes or so, which is probably the only reason why I made it through 40 minutes! I definitely have lost some of my 'fitness' over the last month, but it still felt good to run, and I'm feeling back in the game now. I don't think it will take long to get back to where I was.
All told, I think I missed a total of 4 runs since the holiday season began at Thansgiving. Which is one week and a day...it could have been much worse! I missed the mental aspect of regular running but physically, I think the lack of strength training has been the most apparent to me ....amazing how quickly we lose that muscle tone!

I have 'help' though! Ha ha...one of my favorite gifts, from Alison (my Tuesday night date for Biggest Loser every week!). This book is great...I've already read through most of it. Jillian's 30 day plan seems to be fairly 'do-able' - she promises that if you follow her plan to the letter, you will drop the last stubborn 10-20 pounds. The book is geared toward those folks (like me) who have 'stalled' weight loss and need to shake things up a bit. There is a quick base line fitness test to be sure that you are 'fit' enough to do this program (I am *whew*). There is also a test to take to figure out how you oxidize food - and then menu plans to support your individual oxidation type. As for me, I am a 'Balanced Oxidizer', which means my ideal food intake would be 40 % carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. When I read over the menu/recipes for my type, I was happy to see that I am pretty much dead on with this balance, and only a few 'tweaks' will be required. The 30% fat was a surprise to me...I keep it lower than that on most days, and interestingly, on the weeks when I have more fat in my diet, I tend to lose better! The only other tweaks for me will be no alchohol for 30 days, and no packaged or processed foods...such as Baked Lays or granola bars etc. That should be no problem.

I am still not sure how I will approach the plan....She has workouts lined up pretty much every day, and unless I get up at 4am every day, I'm not sure that is feasible for me. So I may stretch this out over 60 days - basically doing the workouts 3 times a week, with my running, and using her menu ideas. The plan is really a final push to get those last pounds off, but it is not really geared for long term maintenance. (My calorie requirement for this plan is 1,400 per day)Although, I can see continuing the exercises or having them in a repetoire since of course I will be strength training at least twice a week as an ongoing thing. In the Amazon reviews, it seems the average woman lost 10-15 pounds in 30 days and definitely felt more strength and had more muscle definition. I think this would help jump start my running progress as I train for May, so it's worth a try right?


Another favorite gift from the husband is this book. I have not started it yet, but I can't wait! Written by Liz Robbins, it chronicles the stories of various people running the 2007 NY Marathon. Elite athletes and 'amateurs' - the stories that led them to that moment...it will be such a great read! Mike saw it written up in USA today and thought I should have it. I had never heard of this book ~ I can't wait to dig in!
Let's see, I also got some running gloves and headband for chilly weather running. And, I got a 'Griddler' which will be great for doing some indoor grilling this winter (healthy stuff!) and some Panini style healthy wraps! With a new gym membership and other misc. items - I think I am good to go!
I am working on some New Year's goals - which quite honestly, I really don't do resolutions each year. I've always found it 'pointless'. This year is different...I have all sorts of things on my 'to do' list for 2009. Much of it is fitness related of course, but achieving those goals helps me to get to some other things as well, so more on this as we approach the new year.....
I hope to sneak in another run today (it is 60 degrees today WOW), just a light run/walk again - but outside hopefully. I'm just working myself back in to a groove. I'm doing 'ok' on the scale I think...I have a bit of carb overload 'bloat' going as I am up and down between the same 2-3 pounds. Hopefully that will start to level off and I can get back to my 145 place I enjoyed ever so briefly right before the holiday, lol. The next few weeks will be all about inches for me though as I put myself through the Jillian torture!
Also, I am happy to report that I bought a pair of Size 8 dress jeans the other day! So I've dropped three sizes since starting this journey in July. I was a very tight 12, comfortable 14. Size 8 is a great place to be...so I wonder what will happen when I start to tone up more and whittle off some more inches? I'm so jazzed to get going! My father in law commented to me on Christmas Eve that I am HALF the size of me a year ago at this time. I was reminded then that I weighed somewhere around 170 at that time - WOW. I really did make some great progress this past year - most of it being in the second half of the year.
I can't wait to see what the new year brings!
Cheers~

5 comments:

Aka Alice said...

SIZE 8 JEANS???? Wow. That's. Awesome! Congrats.

What a great 1/2 year you've had so far...much more good is coming your way!

I LOVE my Panini press. It makes awesome sammies.

Anonymous said...

Three sizes = amazing! Loved your Christmas update with the photo of the kids. That Chris is Mr. Happy...love his enthusiasm.

I gave you a shout out on my blog tonight regarding family health/fitness because I am right there with you. MAJOR goal for 2009 in this household!

Nicole said...

Thats amazing news Cyndi! How wonderful. I'm still considering running the half... but i need to get some other plans set in stone before i say yes. It would be tons of fun to hang with you and Shosh for the day!


Those are great christmas gifts. I really wanna look at the book by Jillian. I need to work on what i eat. All i eat is CRAP and its terrible. I need to make some good resolutions to follow for 2009! :)

RooBabs said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas, and you are on track for a fantastic 2009!!

Congrats on going down so many sizes. You do look really great!

About the book- I have it and tried it back in March. It is a really good program, although the workouts are seriously tough. If I remember right, it seems like you only had to do her workouts 4 times a week (and then you can do extra cardio on top of that if you want to- but IMO, your heart rate gets pumping pretty good, so you don't really need to). I only lost about 2 pounds, but I wasn't totally strict with the menu plan either. Plus I definitely gained a lot of strength and probably muscle. I look forward to seeing your results- let us know how it goes.

Are you as excited as I am that Biggest Loser starts up again so soon?

SuperDave said...

I've noticed everyone backing off running in Dec,Jan - it's because of the weather.
1400 calories isn't much. Don't drop too low. I think 10-15 lbs in 1 month is alot. For me maybe at my weight not for you. 60 days seems better though..
You were a comfortable 14, and now a size 8?!! Holy cow!
Go Cyndi!!!