Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Weigh In what-the???

The number on the scale this morning was so shocking it does not even deserve a moment of my attention or angst...my weight today is really irrelavant, BECAUSE....

The tape measure had a different story to tell today (thank goodness!)


Chest - 1/4"

Waist -1/2"

Hips no change

Thighs - 1/2"

It appears that I'm starting to lose in other areas now after much of the loss has been through the hip area thus far. It also seems that the number on the scale will be the last to go down for me, which I can handle - AS LONG AS I continue to shrink, ha ha.

I had a thought while watching Biggest Loser last night. Big guy ED, who started the show at something over 300 pounds, made a comment about his 'fatty liver' and other organs....I realized that people who are trying to lose weight typically think in terms of how they look on the outside, and the fat burning that goes on, the shrinking that happens etc. But, what about the fat that accumulates on the INSIDE? The fat that covers internal organs and poses the most dangerous health threat of all? I reminded myself that MY body probably needed to burn some of that internal scary stuff off too....that even though a number on the scale is not reflecting any obvious change, if I am continuing to exercise and burn calories and fat, reducing fat intake etc., my body is still working to eliminate the unhealthy fat - inside AND out.

A couple of people have told me that I didn't 'look' like I had 30 pounds to lose. But I know that the SCALE back in July indicated that, and I didn't have 'muscle' weight at the time to contradict that number...it makes me wonder how much 'internal' fat I started with...kind of a scary thought!

I had a 'hungry' day yesterday, and even broke down and ate some chocolate from one of those vendor baskets that arrived at work yesterday! Although I truly felt 'hungry', I also am mindful of the stress I'm under right now at work (my boss took an unexpected medical leave), and the stress of being ready for the holiday. Chris was sick this week - some sort of little flu bug, my husband is 'laid off' right now (nothing too concerning, just a slow time at work and very common in the trades...) All of these things add up to the sort of circumstances that, in the past, would lead me to make poor food choices. So yesterday, even though early in the day I truly felt hungry and needed fuel...by late afternoon I was busy and tired and stressed over work, and the quick grab of the chocolate was not a good choice made for the right reasons. In these moments, all we can do is dust ourselves off and today is another day!

However, the day ended great with Grace's very first violin concert last night. She looked so cute and 'professional' on stage....it was a fun night!



So....better eating today, a 30 minute run tonight (I was still a little sore yesterday from my 45 minute run Sunday so I rested one more day), some strength training tonight - and I am not going to dwell on the number on the scale today. After all, this weekend I am going shopping for some new dress pants for work! My size 10's are ridiculous...my wardrobe is in serious need of an overhaul. Who needs a scale when you can go buy a smaller size pant?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job on the inches and yet another reason I dont weigh :) especially since, if we want muscle, we dont really want the scale to lower.

and a GREAT JOB on a taste of chocolate. you are under a ton of frazzlestress and whatever you ate is, if you are me anyway, NOTHING compared to what you *could* have stressconsumed.

so it's a VICTORY, IMO.

Miz.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the last line of this post "Who needs a scale when you can go buy a smaller size pant?" That sums it up! You're losing inches and looking fantastic. It does keep it in perspective when you don't see the number change as you would want but everything else is changing. Keep it up and the scale will give, we're working on the food thing. :-) I too had a chocolate moment yesterday must have been something in the air.

The inside fat thing is totally scary...I wonder how much I have left from being 231#s YIKES

Grace is adorable. You should be proud of your little musician. Give my girl Alison a shout out from NY and I truly hope that Chris is on the mend.

RooBabs said...

I'm with Shosh- "who needs a scale when you can go buy a smaller pants size?" sums it up perfectly. Like you said at the beginning, don't give that uncooperative scale another thought, and focus on your victories- like the tape measure and the pants.

Wahoo!!! for shrinking- you go girl!!

About the fatty liver and inside fat, it makes me think about my dad. He is severely overweight (I hate to use the word obese, but really, that's what he is). It kind of scares me, but somehow, last time he had his cholesterol checked, it was normal, and he isn't pre-diabetic either. But I hope these things don't give me false hope, because he does take blood pressure meds, and has a lot of pain associated with his weight. I think it's good to focus on these health things sometimes, because for me, I do get wrapped up in the appearance aspect, but then I have to remind myself that I am a very healthy person with normal cholesterol and blood pressure and no health conditions, and that by running, I am adding years to my life (and probably life to my years, too).

Good for you for listening to your body and having that little chocolate, and for resting the extra day after your long run.

And finally, Grace looks so adorable! She totally has a glow of pride. What a beautiful smile!

BeachRunner said...

You rock. Great job!

Nicole said...

Great job with the inch lost, your awesome cyn! Grace looks so cute at her concert with her violin! I always wanted to play Violin!)

SuperDave said...

Isn't it noce to know that it is not always about the scale, still losing inches!
New warbrobe, doesn't it feel good.
Playing catchup on blogs..
:)