(Yes, I am a geek like this at times)
And then the dilemma....do I start with the articles that are most relevant to me at the moment? (ie 28 tips to Lose Weight, Get Inspired, Achieve Any Goal)...or, do I head straight for the 'Beginners: Feel Good On Every Run' (oh yeah....). Hmmm....what to do....just read from cover to cover? And then...do I blow through the magazine within a day or two? Or should I make it last throughout most of the month?
Well, my RW reading method varies month to month, but today during my bus ride, I skipped right to the 'New Year New You' section, to take the quiz to determine what distance I was born to run. I found this to be a great exercise for me, because it really confirmed what I think I already knew...I think I will (eventually) be a strong mid-distance (10K to 13.1) runner. My answers to the quiz actually fell in the 'Long Hauler' category. But since I'm still a 'newbie', I'm not even thinking of a marathon, but really look forward to doing a 10K or 1/2 marathon. To me, THAT is a Long enough Haul for now!
But, I agree with the quiz result...I say this for a couple of reasons. First, I have to admit I did not like my first 5K all that much. Yes, it was my first (and only) race ever, so there was nerves, and asthma and humidity and all that 'stuff', and of course the whole time thing ....and even though I was proud and happy after I finished, I wasn't all that 'high' about the race itself. I'm not saying I won't do 5K's, because I will do as many as I can next season...it's just not going to be my forte. I am not a fast runner, I may never be...so the pressure of running fast for 30 minutes or more, when most people finish a 5K in 30 mins or less...I almost feel like 'why bother'? Not that I want to BEAT anyone, because it's not about that for me...maybe the jury is still out and I'll change my thinking after the next 5K! We'll see...
I also think I will be a mid-long distance runner for the simple reason that it takes me about 15 - 20 minutes to really get settled and feeling comfortable on a run. Most workouts, I'm just starting to feel GREAT and it's time to stop! My mind is pleasantly occupied, daydreaming, thinking, planning, rockin' to music...my breathing is just getting comfortable and I'm relaxed...and then it's over, right when I feel like I could run all day. The first 15 minutes is sometimes downright 'painful'...I think to myself, I'm not going to get through this today. Then something clicks and it's all good.
So, the training strategies for me are to raise the lactate threshold (for middle distance running) and to improve running economy (for a Long Hauler). This is exactly what I am working on now~
My three runs each week go like this:
1 - (always 30 minutes) Hold a slightly faster pace than my long run
2nd run - Interval training: practice running faster, burns more calories
3rd run - Long run, slow and steady, working up to one hour.
Once I finish the One Hour Running program, I will switch to running for distance instead of time. However, I have decided to add a 4th day of easy running that will be a 3 mile run. Time doesn't matter, pace doesn't matter, I will just say, "today I run 3 miles"., and see how long it takes. Hopefully each week it will get a little faster!
I really think I need to add this 4th day to get me off the plateau I am currently experiencing - with both weight and running. Also, I'm doing it for Dave, who is streakin' right now and since I can't run every day yet, I will at least add a day. Anything for SuperDave! :-)
Anyway, I love RW and am about 1/2 hour from crawling into bed and reading more!
And so, Bloggie Peeps, How do YOU read your RW? And second question, what type of running 'specialist' are you? Speed Racer? Middle Distance, or Long Hauler? Inquiring minds want to know! Do share...


4 comments:
Shhh... don't tell anyone, but you are my favorite. :)
Good for you for adding a 4th day of running - man you are getting serious! I wish that I can add a 4th day permanently, but my work/life schedule doesn't allow me.
I just ran my 5th day today and I'm already becoming wimpy. If I didn't mark my words in stone the other day, I would've broke the streak today. haha [really tired today, but I did it anyway]
You are a very good planner(yes you are a mother and a wife) and it seems that you have a good sense of what your body can handle.
I am always excited at my RW mag when it comes in, but I haven't even looked at it yet. Sadly I zoom through it in about 3 days. - just can't get enough. LOL!!
I'm not sure what my specialty is yet? I'll post later.
Your the best!!
I lurve my RW. I read it in page order from beginning to end like a novel. But how quickly I get through it varies month to month depending on my schedule, but almost never takes more than a few days from the day it arrives.
I saw that article you mentioned and I feel, like you, that I am probably going to evolve into mid-distance runner. At least I think that is what I will be best at, once I get through this newbie, first year stage.
I got my RW mag this weekend too and i can't WAIT to read it!
I love that you are a magazine geek, too, like me.
I haven't read my RW yet (I'm always amazed when I start getting the next month's issues in the mail, because it seems to sneak up so quick), but when I do I will totally let you know what kind of running specialist I am. I am thinking the middle distance, though. But I am still working to get faster and faster with 5k's. I totally agree with you about the first 15 minutes of a run. Usually somewhere around 12 or 13 minutes, it finally kicks in, and I feel "warmed up".
When I read my RW (or any magazine for that matter), I usually jump to one or two of the cover articles and read them first, then I go to the beginning and read everything front to back. Maybe this is why I am constantly behind in my magazine reading? Although in "women's magazines" I almost always skip the "fashion" section, and I usually skim the "beauty" section- unless I see something about bargains, I'm not going to buy their expensive crap, no matter how good it is.
Whoah, sorry for the mag rant- I told you I was a geek, too. I have serious feelings about my reading material. = )
Post a Comment