Monday, December 22, 2008

Until next time....


I can't believe how quickly time is passing these days! This is how it usually is at this time of year though, and then January comes, and the next two months are endless.

So....cold enough for ya out there? DANG is it cold here in Cleveland. We're supposed to be hearty folk here in Northeast Ohio, but I don't know, the older I get, the harder it is to tolerate this sub zero wind chill nonsense. Relief is in site...I understand tomorrow I will need my umbrella and maybe a spring jacket lol...


With this crazy weather comes a 'bad day' for my Chris. I knew it was coming, I could see it in his face yesterday afternoon. This extreme weather is so hard on his brain! He doesn't even go OUT in it, and it affects him. It is the craziest thing. If there is anything to be 'glad' about though, I'm glad it is today that he is down and out, so he can enjoy his favorite holiday without being in zombie-land. For THAT I am thankful. Chris IS Christmas, and I want nothing more for him to be able to celebrate and enjoy it....

On the running front, not much to report I'm sorry to say! I only got in one run last week and I'm not sure why. Well, obvious reasons like there's just too much going on these days, school events last week, shopping, work etc. But I could have squeezed some early mornings in if I really tried. The fact is, I was tired and just could not get up at 5am to run...I did on Tuesday, but by Thursday, the week's activity had caught up to me and I couldn't do it. Part of me realizes deep down that this is a good time for a little 'break' - my soreness and somewhat 'hard' runs lately are the signs that my body needs to rest a bit, and I don't think one or maybe two weeks off is going to set me back too much. I'll do what I can this week, but I am doubtful I will score three runs. I'll be happy with two! December 29th though...look out, I'm back in the game full speed ahead!

Our family is getting a rec center membership for Christmas as a family gift...I am looking forward to becoming a gym person. It has been years! It will be nice to go somewhere else to run, besides in my basement. I am also looking forward to doing some eliptical and other cross training options. The flip side is....my fitness quest now becomes somewhat 'public'. People in my community go to the rec center...it's a very close, tight knit community. Everyone knows or recognizes everyone. So, I am going to be 'outted' in some respects! So the first week or so will be interesting for me, as part of my 'shy side' will be popping up for a visit.

I picked up a great Jeff Galloway book on Half Marathon training over the weekend while at the bookstore. I am very interested in the run/walk method he touts. So over the next week or so, I may be changing my training method for the 1/2 marathon, we will see....

On that note, I think it's safe to say I won't be blogging much, if any, over the next week. It's so funny how I feel so SAD when I say this! Six months ago I had no idea that I would be ending the year in 'this' place, healthier, happier, more fit and on my way to healthy, successful and permanent weight loss. I also had no idea that I would have 'met' such wonderful people through blogging, and the support and friendship you all give to me, and everyone, is really such an admirable and very cool thing. You are all Rock Stars in my book, and I look forward to getting to know all of you more, perhaps even meeting more of you in person, in '09! I look forward to sharing my first 1/2 marathon experience with everyone, and I look forward to sharing YOUR successes as well - because I know there will be many!

And so, I wish all of my Bloggy Peeps a wonderful season of celebrating with family and friends, no matter what you celebrate, and of course, a wonderful New Year filled with good health, love and friendship for you and your families!

Until next week....God Bless,

4 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Have a very happy holiday with your family. The rec center gift is awesome.

Rest up, enjoy, and get ready to rock next year!

Nicole said...

I'm glad got his bad day over with so he can enjoy christmas! A gym membership sounds great.. i would love that but sadly i'm so busy i wouldnt use it! I cant believe how cold it is around here. It was like -3 out yesterday. AH I cant take it anymore! I'm counting down the days till spring break when i can go somewhere warm! Have a safe and merry christmas!

RooBabs said...

I'm so sorry that the cold weather has such an effect on Chris. Hopefully he will get to enjoy Christmas.

That is very cool about the rec center. We have one nearby, too, and I just used it for the first time last weekend. I'm hoping that I'll be able to talk the hubs into getting a membership, because it would be fun and convenient, without the hassle of gym memberships and contracts and all that. Plus they have a swimming pool, ice skating rink, and a rock climbing wall. What a great healthy gift for your family to enjoy!!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!! I can't wait to follow along with you as you train for your half! = )

SuperDave said...

I think we are all busy now, and we understand that running, blogging, and sometimes eating go south.
Gym membership will help you to log more miles and pump the iron.haha
I hope you have a great Christmas!
Aren't you excited for your kids? I'm excited for mine and yours both!