Back to 'the grind' today! I am suffering from Blog Withdrawal, lol...at a quick glance I see I have lots of lunchtime reading material today! I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's holiday weekend!
We returned from our Virginia excursion late Saturday night. In a nutshell, we had an active, fun, family filled adventure! The highlight for me was on Thanksgiving morning, when, instead of running the originally planned Turkey Trot, the 'big kids' of the family decided to go climb a mountain trail at a nearby national park. (the name escapes me for the moment, too early!) This was a big thrill for me, because one year ago - I never would have been able to do this, or, at the very least - I would have struggled greatly, or would have chosen a different activity altogether. For THIS hike, I was strong, confident, and thrilled to participate, and even be up to the front of the 'pack' instead of lagging behind.
The trail was a total of 2.5 miles, up and down. It took 17 minutes to get to the top. I wore my heart rate monitor because I was curious to see what kind of 'workout' this would truly be. HA! What was I thinkin? I was well aware of my heart rate, no monitor needed! It was truly awesome. And with great company on the way to the top, it was such a great way to spend Thanksgiving morning. Here we are heading out, see the incline? It was like that all the way up!
Here is a shot from half way up - note my sister in law down there giving my hubby a little 'nudge' up the hill (wink wink):

And finally, the view from the top. It was stunningly beautiful. Metaphorically speaking, I have to say, the view from this vantage point, high on a mountain, is truly the best.
The rest of the weekend was filled with family love, laughs, kid-fun, good food, a day in DC sightseeing (walked about 10 miles!), and a day in Gettysburg on the way home. The kids had a blast, and we arrived home pleasantly exhausted. Here is the hubby and I after sharing a dance in the kitchen while helping with the turkey dinner:
Yesterday was spent decorating the house for Christmas, and the whirlwind begins!
Off to get ready for work now. I am happy to say that it appears I have suffered no 'damage' on the scale thus far this week...keeping fingers crossed! :-)
I'll be bombarding everyone with multiple comments later today I'm sure! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend!

7 comments:
Sounds like a great holiday weekend. And that hike sounds awesome. I would love to do something like that with my family, but we're mostly "sit around in front of the TV" types. Luckily I was up early and did a 5k first thing, but the only other activity I fit in was the walking while shopping (which was quite a bit).
Congrats on no scale damage!
Awesome pics! It sounds like you had a great time! I bet you enjoyed escaping from this snow! You have snow right? Today was dreadful and gloomy. UGH. You and your hubby are super cute together! I'm glad you had a fun weekend and kept the damage off! I think i did pretty well too!
Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. Great photos!
Fantastic. Way to hike like a champ! Great pics.
Good to have you back from your turkey vaction. Climbing a mountain! Sounds like fun!
What a fun weekend! Climbing that mountain with ease and a laugh in your heart is what this getting healthy thing is all about. I'm so happy for you. Plus your hubby is way cute. I'm happy for you for that too : )
Oh! and the pics of the mountain weren't bad either...lol
Post a Comment