Monday, December 29, 2008

YOU in December 2009

I suspect most of us are probably putting the finishing touches on New Year's Resolutions. I know I am. I have said that I don't really 'do' resolutions. That is true. However, I read something the other day that really describes what I am trying to do with resolutions this year.

I have a vision of what I want to 'BE' by this time next year. I'm not talking I want to 'BE Skinny' or 'BE a size whatever'. But there IS a 'ME' I am hoping to discover more of over the next year. I've already begun to peel away some layers over the past few months, to find a 'me' that's been long buried or perhaps existed only in potential, who knows. It's been so exciting for me, and empowering. Empowering to the point that in terms of resolutions - I say, if there is something I want to DO, then DO.IT. Just DO IT. It can be that simple, can't it? Set the goal, make a plan, put forth my best effort - be accountable for my choices (eat the chocolate or don't eat it - my choice, my responsibility, I own the consequence).

When we really think about it - our best intentions and plans are derailed for one and only one reason...our SELVES. Perhaps we don't set realistic goals, perhaps we don't want it bad enough or the intended result is not 'valuable' enough to us. But I firmly believe now that if we want something badly enough, we can figure out how to get it - and just do it. There are some things in our lives that can't be controlled, this is true. But in the whole scheme of things, it is a very small percentage of life - most everything in our lives can be controlled by our own little selves, our choices, our actions, our hearts, our minds.

Making resolutions and taking action on them is all well and good - but what is the end result to be? It has to be more than 'I will lose 30 pounds this year'. So if you are successful with that weight loss, what will you BE after that? Besides skinny of course...

So I challenge all of you to describe yourself as you see you at this time next year. Mentally, emotionally, intellectually, physically - not so much what you will do to get there, but how do you picture yourself as a whole, one year from now?

I am working on my vision of Cyndi in 2009....I will tell you this, the 'me' I am today is not anything that I expected to see last year at this time!


6 comments:

RooBabs said...

Oooh, what a great challenge. That's a different (and good) way to look at resolutions.

It causes you to look deeper, to really think about what you want to become.

I definitely want to be a healthier eater, and to be better at planning meals. I think I'll develop that a little better, and blog about it this week. Thanks!

Carly said...

What a great post Cyndi. I swear you were reading my mind as I was sitting down with a pen and paper designing my plan for the new year. I am going to do this.

Nicole said...

Great idea.. i would love to work on the 'me' thats inside. I really never come up with resolutions but I am this year and i should jot them down :) Thanks for your inspiration, once again, you ROCK!

BeachRunner said...

Great mindset. Congrats for all you have done and have set out to do. You will have great success and fun in 2009.

SuperDave said...

I've been thinking about this next year planning for 2 weeks. I don't like resolutions per se, but I do like making achievable goals.
Now if I can just get working on them... haha

Anonymous said...

LOVE that idea BBF. I will have to put some thought into this. What a good thought starter.

Thanks and HAPPY 2009
xoxox