...usually have to be changed. I am not getting my Metroparks run this weekend ~ Friday afternoon I started sneezing like crazy at work, my throat was becoming more sore by the minute and by Friday evening at 8:00, I was in bed! Woke up yesterday with a bad cold, and of course it's still hangin' around today. At least it's 'all in my head', so following the 'neck and up' rule of running when sick, I DID get on the treadmill today for a nice and easy 30 minute run.
I thought it would be better to run inside today, rather than risk all the allergens (leaves) outside making me worse. I wasn't sure how the run would go, as crappy as I felt, but I really WANTED to run anyway. So I did ~ kept my heart rate right at an average 143, my pace easy at 12:20, and just covered 2.5 miles. I'm happy I got my 'challenging' workout in on Thursday, and I'm relieved that I did not have to miss a workout despite this stupid cold! Still burned a little over 300 calories - and surprisingly, I felt BETTER after running.
I hope this is a short-lived little bug, because I do not tolerate illness well. I'd like to know where this came from - I'm eating healthier than ever, an orange every day, veges, a multi-vitamin - exercise...I mean what the heck?! No one in my house is sick (yet, ugh). A couple people at work have been though, plus I could've picked something up at the Clinic Wednesday. Who knows, but I am *mad* because I thought my immune system would be all good.
I've also been doing some piano playing this weekend. My daughter's middle school choir concert is Wednesday evening, and there is a possibility that their usual accompanist will not be able to play (soccer championship), so I am 'on deck' just in case. I've been practicing the three songs they are singing. This will be my first 'performance' since I was in college, so I'm a little nervous, even though the music is relatively basic stuff...I still have a bit of stage fright about getting in front of all those people! (read: parents who know me but have no idea I play the piano which means lots of talking to people afterwards and accepting compliments gracefully etc.) I won't know until Tuesday if I'm needed or not, so I could be wasting my time with my practicing, but it's been pretty enjoyable. Of course, to my DAUGHTER I am cool as a cucumber, 'no problem honey, I'd LOVE to do it'....not a hint of nervousness, just practicing to be prepared - setting a good example, and all that jazz. We'll see - I think I may almost be disappointed if the soccer team loses and I'm not needed to play! As nervous as I am, I am sort of hoping I get to play. It's sort of a personal challenge for me, putting myself 'out there', taking a risk of sorts - returning to an old comfort zone that I had many moons ago....it's all part of this journey I guess.
And so, this is my Sunday - I had hoped to have some great pictures from my day in the Valley, but, well, maybe next weekend!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Yep, next weekend, Cyndi. I'm looking forward to seeing Metropark. So, get better fast, okay?
Good on you for doing your tread run anyway. I guess you really are a runner now, eh? Nothing will stop you. I think the flexibility of changing plans lets us know that exercise is a priority these days. Woo hoo!
btw, I noticed that 1 pound, even if you didn't say much about it. Has a nice ring to it.
"Cool as a cucumber." You are such a good mommy..
Sorry you didn't get out for your run. Good for you for being flexible, and still getting a run in.
How cool that you play the piano (it's always been kind of a dream of mine to learn).
Sorry about your run.
I found this in my runners world magazine and thought of you.
Fact or Fiction?
Running hard can give you a cold?
"FACT--> Hard exercise suppresses the immune system, making the body more susceptible to infection. Fend off a postrace flu by regulary eating apples, garlic and onions. These foods contain querctin, a compound that studies have linked to increased immune heath."
I guess when they said an apple a day keeps the doctor away, they meant it! Feel better cyndi! :)
Post a Comment